Japan, Kumamoto prefecture, Mifune formation (lower), Turonian

David in Japan

After 2 weeks of cold weather, today, Winter seamed to take a break.

No clouds, sunny weather and temperatures above 18 degree celsius, I didn't have to think twice, let's go to the adventure !

As some of you have already noticed, I am more a seaside fossil hunter and today would have been a perfect day to make my skin's tone perfect if the tide would fit my schedule. Too bad for me, low tide time was a little bit too late for me so I decided to drive to Mifune's mountain.

Mifune surrounding mountain are part of the Mifune formation. The formation age is Cretaceous (Turonian) and divided in two different Fauna. The lower part of the formation is mainly composed of marine fossil like bivalve but also turtle bones, shark teeth...

The upper part of the formation is composed mainly of continental fauna and dinosaurs bones are often found.

post-19424-0-46431300-1455118686_thumb.jpg

I divided my trip in two part:

1-Morning: Yoshimuta Plateau (Mifune Lower formation)

I went there few times and wanted to explore the surrounding to see if I was able to find some nice spots and bivalves.

2-After lunch: Dinosaur hunt!

First time I really took time to look at a geologic map and looked for bones.

Yoshimuta:

I arrived at about 10:30am at the entrance of the trail and had a 1 hour walk in the mountain before finding and interesting spot.

post-19424-0-06219100-1455119552_thumb.jpg

A kind of road cut in the mountain. By looking closer I immediately i noticed:

post-19424-0-06146300-1455119548_thumb.jpg

Cerithium Pyramidaeformis, good sign there was life here millions years ago. Now it is time to dig a little bit a see what treasures will appear.

Matrix was hard as heck but, I found enough nice bivalve to put a big smile on my face for the day.

Put all my found I my Back pack, ate a Rice ball and returned to the car for a 30 minute ride to the next spot and who knows, maybe Dinosaurs.

2- Yakata River

I drove to Yakata river and Amakimi Dam. I noticed that part of the river dried up and where surrounded by the upper part of the Mifune formation. If Dinosaurs there are, I thought I would have a chance to find somethink there.

I parked my car next to the dam

post-19424-0-01550100-1455120938_thumb.jpg

and was welcomed by this sign

post-19424-0-06280800-1455120989_thumb.jpg

Temperatures are still cold so I think there is nothing to fear but for someone who is afraid of snakes like me, this sign had a big effect.

A picture of the dried up river bed :

post-19424-0-23731300-1455121152_thumb.jpg

I tried to go down to the river bed but my adventure in Dinoland had to stop here. As I thought, there is dino bones in there unfortunately the area is forbidden and special clearance was requested to dig up fossil there.

I didn't have the occasion to dig up dino bones but I still found a spot where bones are. so good experience for me.

More picture on this post too:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60896-because-the-trip-and-the-discovery-is-a-big-part-of-our-passion/

Edited by Auspex
  • I found this Informative 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Here is today's find :

overview

post-19424-0-61693900-1455121690_thumb.jpg

Dentonia Japonica

post-19424-0-02156000-1455121685_thumb.jpg

Goshouraia Crenulata

post-19424-0-42360900-1455121686_thumb.jpg

Leaf

post-19424-0-49882500-1455121689_thumb.jpg

Septifer Mifunensis

post-19424-0-18351100-1455121692_thumb.jpg

No ID for now

post-19424-0-21540800-1455121688_thumb.jpg

Great report David :D thanks for sharing.

Edited by Kevin H.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Nice! It's such a rare treat to see Japanese fossils.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hi David, thanks for the report on your fossil adventures?

I'm heading to ( Nozawa Onsen ) on a snowboarding holiday next week with 12 buddies, It's the first time to Japan for me so I'm exstreamly excited I'm going

So I'm just wondering if you know of any fossil sights, around the Nozawa area ?

Cheers Budgie

Never went to Nagano prefecture so, I can't say at 100% if the sites are close to your location and easy to access but according to my search there is some nice spot in this prefecture.

Mainly Jurassic and Neogene.

I will PM you the location.

Hope that you will enjoy your trip here

David

Edited by David in Japan

Never went to Nagano prefecture so, I can't say at 100% if the sites are close to your location and easy to access but according to my search there is some nice spot in this prefecture.

Mainly Jurassic and Neogene.

I will PM you the location.

Hope that you will enjoy your trip here

David

Thank you David, for your suggestion and well wishes!

Your right Fossil hunter, it would be fantastic! However I think the only thing I will find on my holiday is snow and lots of aches and pains! But you just never know....