Bob the Baby T-rex

Troodon

Here is an update on Baby Bob....looks like it's moving in the right direction to get studied. 

From Bob Detrich Facebook page

The fundraiser last night was a huge success. I also made a huge announcement last night as to #BabyBobTrex future. 
We sign an agreement with the University of Kansas which allows Baby Bob to be on display at the Natural History Museum on the campus of KU starting July 1st to December 31st. This is very good news because in this time frame we plan on raising the money on a crowdfunding site to donate this juvenile t. rex specimen to a major Museum here in the United States.. We understand the importance of this specimen and all we can learn from him or her. It is my understanding that KU will catalog this specimen. As it will be temporarily housed at The University of Kansas Natural History Museum which is part of the University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute, a KU designated research center dedicated to the study of the life of the planet.

• I found this Informative 9

That is indeed great news because it means it will be properly studied and not wind up in private hands. 

• 1 year later...

Update:  The paper will be coming out soon possibly by the end of October. The researchers at KU are trying to keep this on the down low as they're afraid that other paleontologist will try to block the peer review. So we're not giving too many details because we want the paper to be properly reviewed and we choose to keep Dr Carr in the dark. Since he chooses bad mouth commercial paleontology when were trying to further our knowledge, expand science and enlightened the public. The fossil record would be rather boring had I not became involved in paleontology.  Just to name a few specimens such as Samson, Anzu and Baby Bob. The Smoking Gun is about to show itself.

Edited by fossilking
Repeated by words
  • I found this Informative 4

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 10:23 PM, fossilking said:

Update:  The paper will be coming out soon possibly by the end of October. The researchers at KU are trying to keep this on the down low as they're afraid that other paleontologist will try to block the peer review. So we're not giving too many details because we want the paper to be properly reviewed and we choose to keep Dr Carr in the dark. Since he chooses bad mouth commercial paleontology when were trying to further our knowledge, expand science and enlightened the public. The fossil record would be rather boring had I not became involved in paleontology.  Just to name a few specimens such as Samson, Anzu and Baby Bob. The Smoking Gun is about to show itself.

Any progress? I'd be extremely eager to see a paper on this little tyke.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have a few extra coins laying around...looks like Baby Bob made it to our favorite auction site

They are still talking about the soon to be published paper....

Screenshot_20190409-054043.thumb.jpg.9843dcd867a4622019726727b69ff32c.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Anyone have a few extra coins laying around...looks like Baby Bob made it to our favorite auction site

They are still talking about the soon to be published paper....

It sucks to see the current state of Bob. Here's what Robert Detrich said on his Facebook:

My brother gave me four years to sell baby Bob I couldn't get the job done so he is taking it over since. It was found on his lease I have not much to say in it. I think you all know me that I'd never put a dinosaur on online.. And I am just ashamed and upset as everybody else. This doesn't belong on online it belongs in a museum.

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

This doesn't belong on online it belongs in a museum

True but it did not sell because asking price was unrealistic for museum's to be able to acquire it....no change with the current listing....no one is going to pay that price for what they are getting.

• I found this Informative 1

Is there any chance of a fundraising campaign similar to what was done to secure Sue for the Field Museum? This is a huge find and it is heartbreaking that it could be lost to science forever.

9 minutes ago, Clanjones said:

Is there any chance of a fundraising campaign similar to what was done to secure Sue for the Field Museum? This is a huge find and it is heartbreaking that it could be lost to science forever.

The days of fundraising similar to what happened with Sue are long gone.  Museum are all struggling with donations.  

Unrealistic price but hopefully this will make it to an appropriate place to be studied and published.  Potentially a smoking gun when it comes to Nanotyrannus.   

I just wanted it to be known I had no involvement or did I have any knowledge and my brother putting Baby Bob on online  I'm sorry it's not my lease I had four years to try and sell it and I couldn't get the job done I wanted it in a museum I tried everything possible and just wasn't any action. I tried everything I tried payments you know let the public pay for it whatever you know however we can make it work for it to go into a museum in and no one even approached me to see about how we can make it work I mean I would have gave it to him for since well let's see we've had it out since 2013 that's 6 years I would have gave them to put on display and they could be raised money during that time to purchase a specimen I would have been over backwards for a museum or any Institution. I'm embarrassed and upset almost retired.

• I found this Informative 4

Maybe even bad publicity will help this fossil find a permant home is a museum. Hopefully a wealthy donor will step up and help fund its purchase so that it can be placed in a museum and scientifically studied.

Do you want a nice fossil to put in your museum Ross Perot? 

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This was twitter posted yesterday by Baby Bob's owner.  Leave it at that.

Alan Leon Detrich

" Soon we will be announcing the sale of the 4 year old T-Rex Dinosaur. At that point I hope the scientific community will get down on their knees and beg to study my young T-rex. These [...] say they couldn't study my T-Rex. I asked them to come several times"