A little help on ID of 2 bones

monsterrack

The first one is definitely a phalanx (toe bone), probably the phalanx II. Just based on the general shape and the conformation of the distal articulation, I would venture a guess that it is from some sort of artiodactyl.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I agree with Fruitbat. Looks like a deer medial phalanx. If you can get some clear photos of the ends of the second bone, you may get an id if they are not too worn.

I agree with Fruitbat. Looks like a deer medial phalanx. If you can get some clear photos of the ends of the second bone, you may get an id if they are not too worn.

post-20614-0-28197500-1455459925_thumb.jpgpost-20614-0-65698300-1455459970_thumb.jpg Hope these are better shots of the ends.

Edited by monsterrack

About the right size for deer phalanx. The other bone looks like possibly tibia from a small furry creature, raccoon or possum.

Monsterrack,

Just a suggestion for future posts, since I have a feeling you will be making many :) Provide something in your photos for scale, like a measuring tape or ruler.

I am surprised this post has gotten this far with no ID n the second bone. I am going to throw this out for comparison.... canine baculum.

It looks more like a long bone to me, the ends appear to be worn and there is evidence of scavenging. Raccoon or opossum seems reasonable. The foramen in the last photo of post #1 are what is throwing me off. Bird even crossed my mind, but I don't think that is it.

Edited by calhounensis

As I study this bone, I think it is what's left of a humerus of something. Use your imagination to compare with this humerus:

post-42-0-90437500-1455563975_thumb.jpg

Here's a baculum for comparison:

post-42-0-32735800-1455561366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest