Is it real? Jade ammonite

Mac29

Hi,

I'm a fossil newby who purchased a Valentines Day gift for my biologist wife. Now its arrived and been unwrapped, I'm not sure if it's real. It has the weight of stone, but it looks like it might have resin added to smooth imperfections, particularly on the end. It could just be the brown jade. Value your thoughts please, particularly on what to say to my wife if I've been duped and given her a fake on Valentine's Day. Many thanks in advance.

ebay item: 121789993251

320g(0.70 lb) Jade Chrysanthemum Ammonite Shell Fossil Madagascar YFE019

post-20674-0-39295700-1455419530.jpg post-20674-0-90130200-1455419531_thumb.jpg post-20674-0-99313300-1455419532_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
external link removed

Ammonites are commonly replaced with calcite (which comes in a variety of colors).

On the other hand, JADE.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You have a beautiful real ammonite fossil with spectacular sutures that was probably replaced/ filled with calcite. What a wonderful gift that will last much longer than roses. It is not jade. Jade is a high pressure metamorphic mineral and would never be part of a fossil.

Maybe someone with more expertise could ID the species.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Looks beautiful, you see these Madagascar Ammonites for sale all over the Tucson Fossil shows. The colors are spectacular. Enjoy

Very nice ammonite!

It's hard to tell from a photograph, but i don't think there's any resin added to your piece. The smoothness is from polishing; the end structure is the natural shape of the sutures (partitions) on the inside. It's cool to see one showing that structure; most of the Cleoniceras I've seen are cut off square.

It's a neat gift for Valentines; I hope your wife enjoys it! :D

I know we have had this discussion before, but I wonder if the seller was aware that this is in fact not jade and could never be jade...or if was just ignorant.

Beautiful ammonite, by the way.

I've seen Chinese sellers call ammonite "jade" before- of course it isn't jade.

Nice fossil, she should love it!

Fossil ammonites are so common, you can get beautiful specimens for not too much money, fortunately!

Jade is one of those ambivalent terms. Not really a specific term so always best to know what it is being described.

So...possible to have some replacement minerals described as jade but what is usually being described is some other silica. Not what is 'traditionally' called jade. Also, silica is often mistaken for softer calcite.

Lots of nice 'jade' in locales in British Columbia. One isn't that far from the good Eocene insect/plant site at Joseph Creek.

post-19254-0-64965700-1455565147_thumb.jpeg

Dear CanadaWest, aplomado, Mediospirifer, Troodon, Ludwigia, DPS Ammonite and JohnJ, thank you for all of your encouragement, advice and assurances. Your kindness and helpfulness were really appreciated. My wife was thrilled with the ammonite.

Thank you and best wishes,

Mac29

Have no fear. Not only is this real, it's also a very good specimen :)

It has this look because it's been polished, but that in no way takes away from its beauty.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!