Cretaceous tooth ID

Ash

Hey guys,

Found this tooth in a bit of rock up at Richmond, QLD. Its Cretaceous.

I realise most members here are from the US of A so the first pic uses imperial, the 2nd metric.

24921528951_5cd0ceab94_c.jpg

24384210434_8cdeb2d2c9_c.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for your time.

Ash.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Ash, I Dont know if those are also present in the cretaceous of Australia, but this looks a lot like an enchodus sp. tooth

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Is it enchodus? I'll have to research up on them.

Thanks guys.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

It looks more like a sawfish rostral denticle to me with the banded tip, but not enough is uncovered for me to really tell. Cool find though!

Edited by TNCollector

It looks more like a sawfish rostral denticle to me with the banded tip, but not enough is uncovered for me to really tell. Cool find though!

My first thought was also an Ischyrhiza rostral based on the color-difference on the tip and general shape but I'm not familiar with that preservation.

I'll try and expose more. I'm using a thumb tack as I can't find my dental tools lol.

Enchodus fang is more curved and not straight. Enchodus teeth are also flatter

Edited by Raptor Lover
  • I found this Informative 1

"Or speak to the earth, and let it teach you" Job 12:8

Enchodus fang is more curved and not straight. Enchodus teeth are also flatter

I'm still going for enchodus, the tooth is slightly curved on the right side.

And not all the enchodus teeth have the same shape, some of them are straight.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

That which is showing does suggest a sawfish rostral tooth:

post-423-0-64854100-1455569067_thumb.jpg

More images of this specimen: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not sure if this is of any help...

Actinopterygii.pdf

...good luck. It is a cool tooth.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Don't see shark not a fish guy but looks more like a Xiphactinus type tooth. Not familiar with what they are finding in that licality.

I think I see tiny serrations on the cutting edges.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library