Bracklesham Bay, Southern England

fossilcole

A nice 57mm Striatolamia Macrota found 19th April 2009. post-1392-1240647058_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1240647080_thumb.jpgpost-1392-1240647080_thumb.jpg

A selection of the better specimens found 24th April 2009. post-1392-1240647188_thumb.jpg

A nice Paleophis Typhaeus (snake vertebra) I think? post-1392-1240647213_thumb.jpg

A slightly better picture of the smallest tooth in the selection above. I think this one is an Abdounia recticona. post-1392-1240647560_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! What age are they?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Are these beachcombing finds, or are you washing them out of matrix? I ask because they don't appear to have surf-wear.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You make me SO homesick!

I miss Chichester and the Southern coastline... but at least we get good fossils here in North Texas.

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Are these beachcombing finds, or are you washing them out of matrix? I ask because they don't appear to have surf-wear.

The beach at Bracklesham bay has clay banks just off shore, and VERY mild waves/tides due to a very, very gentle beach gradient, so the fossils get hardly any wear before they wash up on the long, flat sand/clay shoreline. It's one of those beaches where the tide goes out about 1/2 a mile at low tide! :)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

The Bracklesham fossils are amazing as to preservation and the molluscan diversity is astounding. Some of the molluscks can hardly be distinguished from the ones found on the US coastal plains, particularly the Stone City formation at the Whiskey Bridge on the Brazos River in Burleson County, Texas.

Hey Fossilcole, post some more pictures of your Bracklesham fossils.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

A bit of both. Generally these fossils are washed out from the London Clay. On good tides some of the clay sometimes gets exposed and teeth etc can be found in situ. Generally, I just loose pick from the beach. In situ seraching is back breaking. There is a limit to what my back and knees will take. Spring tides are better on parts of the beach but I wish I could work out how the sand gets moved around. I've studied it for years and it is still a mystery. The tide times, wind speed and direction and atmospheric pressure plus sea currents all play there parts.

You make me SO homesick!

I miss Chichester and the Southern coastline... but at least we get good fossils here in North Texas.

Are you sure its not the warm beer you miss??

The Bracklesham fossils are amazing as to preservation and the molluscan diversity is astounding. Some of the molluscks can hardly be distinguished from the ones found on the US coastal plains, particularly the Stone City formation at the Whiskey Bridge on the Brazos River in Burleson County, Texas.

Hey Fossilcole, post some more pictures of your Bracklesham fossils.

JKFoam

Check out www.dmap.co.uk/fossils and look at the Bracklesham section. There are quite a few fossils from my collection on this site. I normally concentrate of teeth etc but have been known to pick up a mollusc or two!!! I found some nice pyritised ones today and I will take some pics from my limited mollusc collection.

Thanks for your interest

Very nice finds.

Thank you. I was not too sure that folks in the US would be interested in "stuff" from the UK. It is nice to compare notes etc.

Is it true that Brits like warm beer because your refrigerators are made by Lucas? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I do really, REALLY miss the beer, but you'd be surprised at how good some of the local Texan beers are. Nothing like the p*** that gets exported as "American beer" to the UK.

Have a pint of Badger Bitter or HSB for me next time you're in the pub... and make it a workday lunchtime pint, just to really hammer home the cultural differences between here and there! :D

Is it true that Brits like warm beer because your refrigerators are made by Lucas? :P

We don't waste time chilling it!!!

I do really, REALLY miss the beer, but you'd be surprised at how good some of the local Texan beers are. Nothing like the p*** that gets exported as "American beer" to the UK.

Have a pint of Badger Bitter or HSB for me next time you're in the pub... and make it a workday lunchtime pint, just to really hammer home the cultural differences between here and there! :D

Ok ... there is no such thing as "A PINT" ... one is never enough!!

We don't waste time chilling it!!!

Actually the reason we like warm beer is because its so ruddy cold in this country – I was down the beach this morning [5am] and got accosted by a monkey asking if I did welding!!! Sorry better explain to our colonial cousins ‘it’s cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey’ is an old English saying, yer I know we weird!!!!

Chris I assume you have seen the mass exposure from E3 right up to E7? Its spectacularly, fortunately haven’t seen any of those boring ‘pointy things’ [teeth], but have found some really interesting molluscs. Jan found a nautilus, about a foot across! She found it I was the silly bugger that had to dig it up and carry the ruddy things back to the car……

Actually the reason we like warm beer is because its so ruddy cold in this country – I was down the beach this morning [5am] and got accosted by a monkey asking if I did welding!!! Sorry better explain to our colonial cousins ‘it’s cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey’ is an old English saying, yer I know we weird!!!!

Chris I assume you have seen the mass exposure from E3 right up to E7? Its spectacularly, fortunately haven’t seen any of those boring ‘pointy things’ [teeth], but have found some really interesting molluscs. Jan found a nautilus, about a foot across! She found it I was the silly bugger that had to dig it up and carry the ruddy things back to the car……

Hi Chris Newman, did you get wet on the outside this morning? I got reasonably drenched at West Beach this morning. The southerly wind was driving the tide in and covering up some of the exposures. Check out the www.trg.org reports section. Nautilus sounds good. Even I might have bent over for that one!!! Cheers ... Chris Cole

Hi Chris Newman, did you get wet on the outside this morning? I got reasonably drenched at West Beach this morning. The southerly wind was driving the tide in and covering up some of the exposures. Check out the www.trg.org reports section. Nautilus sounds good. Even I might have bent over for that one!!! Cheers ... Chris Cole

Hi Chris

I did, ruddy wet and cold, also the wind the tide didn’t recede too far. Jan did the evening tide, said that it appeared to be covering up again! Much exposure at west beach, anything that would excite me?

The nautilus is stunning, by far the biggest and best I have ever seen from there – could be near complete! Jan will start working on it today, will post some pics.

Hi Chris

I did, ruddy wet and cold, also the wind the tide didn’t recede too far. Jan did the evening tide, said that it appeared to be covering up again! Much exposure at west beach, anything that would excite me?

The nautilus is stunning, by far the biggest and best I have ever seen from there – could be near complete! Jan will start working on it today, will post some pics.

I look forward to seeing the pic(s). What bed was it out of? E7?? May see you down there tonight.

West Beach started to cover up with the southerly wind, but there was still a reasonable amount of exposure at the top end of the beach about 200m west of the club house. There were patches of mollusc evidence in the oxidised clay (brown) but nothing overtly spectacular that would warrant an urgent visit. The declining tides (0.8m) tonight probably will not be good enough to do Selsey tonight anyway.

I look forward to seeing the pic(s). What bed was it out of? E7?? May see you down there tonight.

West Beach started to cover up with the southerly wind, but there was still a reasonable amount of exposure at the top end of the beach about 200m west of the club house. There were patches of mollusc evidence in the oxidised clay (brown) but nothing overtly spectacular that would warrant an urgent visit. The declining tides (0.8m) tonight probably will not be good enough to do Selsey tonight anyway.

The nautilus was from E4, not E7, there was a buddy nearby but sadly he washed away over night. Jan and I will be down there tonight, will pass on Selsey, although I might suggest that Jan does the walk, she needs the exercise – not that I would say that or she might hit me, again!!!!!!!

Archived