Lee Taylor

Summerville Creek Hunts

abcwixson

Hahaha...that thing looks interesting and dangerous...we will be down tomorrow morning hitting the usual creeks

Lee Taylor

planned hunt tomorrow. Will test the new "poker"/walking stick. Noticed a new creek site yesterday while at lunch. In the Ashley Phosphate road area. Will check it out next week. I am a BIG fan of virgin or near virgin sites and this one looks like just that.

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

We are doing well today...post photos later

Lee Taylor

Always happy to hear people are finding teeth (or fossils). I personally just happen to be after teeth. I have big expectations for tomorrow.

abcwixson

Todays haul from lightning creekpost-19531-0-02751200-1456012749_thumb.jpgpost-19531-0-37467100-1456012767_thumb.jpg

abcwixson

Continued...

post-19531-0-50901900-1456012834_thumb.jpgpost-19531-0-09648600-1456012854_thumb.jpgpost-19531-0-76194400-1456012844_thumb.jpg

abcwixson

the solo tooth is the first complete megalodon we have found and it was laying out in the wide open...thank you much mother nature

reddesilets

That's awesome!!! Congrats on a successful hunt! I'm stuck catching up on homework :P and I need to wash my grill to take to todays PPS meeting. ;) Just about counting down the hours until my neurosurgeon's appt on Tuesday though! Started doing yoga yesterday and I'm soooo sore today! But if feels so good! After a week of this I should be loose enough for a decent hunt next weekend if the weather is good. Although I will have a chemistry final to study for - although getting out would help clear my head and get the stress outta my mind, body, and soul. :wub:

Edited by reddesilets

Lee Taylor

How did the PPS meet go?

Our creek hunt went well also. We started at 11am. We hiked to the site and started snooping around. We started scratching at the surface, in and around the water, to get a feel for how to hunt the site. It is a very difficult site to hunt. Lots of marl. Lots of large stone. Lots of thick sandstone, limestone, or phosphate. The area produced sharks teeth of all types but not any other type fossils. There were some rocks with scallop impressions. We found many Megs mostly baby and a few juvenile. Numerous Angys with the largest at around 3". Numerous quality adult Hemi's. Some lower Mako's. A HUGE adult Great White with the root eroded away. We came away muddy with shark teeth in everyone's pockets. Photos to follow ...

Lee Taylor

the solo tooth is the first complete megalodon we have found and it was laying out in the wide open...thank you much mother nature

CONGRATULATIONS. I still have my first. Found it 1998

Salty

Sounds like you had some good success! I am soooooo looking forward to getting out!

reddesilets

How did the PPS meet go?

Our creek hunt went well also. We started at 11am. We hiked to the site and started snooping around. We started scratching at the surface, in and around the water, to get a feel for how to hunt the site. It is a very difficult site to hunt. Lots of marl. Lots of large stone. Lots of thick sandstone, limestone, or phosphate. The area produced sharks teeth of all types but not any other type fossils. There were some rocks with scallop impressions. We found many Megs mostly baby and a few juvenile. Numerous Angys with the largest at around 3". Numerous quality adult Hemi's. Some lower Mako's. A HUGE adult Great White with the root eroded away. We came away muddy with shark teeth in everyone's pockets. Photos to follow ...

PPS was great. It was a less formal meet up this time at a member's home. Cookout with burgers and hotdogs. Fossils, of course. Some where brought for ID and others for showing off and swapping/giving, etc. Talking about possible ideas for future meet ups and events. The fossil show at Cypress Gardens is in July so we may or may not have a meeting that month.

Congrats on a successful hunt! :)

Lee Taylor

I saw the photos of the PPS meet, posted on the Facebook page. Only a couple of faces I did not recognize

Lee Taylor

Odd, sobering, and off the subject, news:

SO I have been asking a few questions about Shark Tooth Hill, and I ran across this reference to a shark tooth hunter being killed while hunting shark teeth.

http://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/man-killed-in-hillside-collapse-the-land-is-unstable

Edited by Lee Taylor

Auspex

Gotta' use your head and not dig so far back: Mr. Gravity is not always your friend.

Lee Taylor

2 of 4 photos = 1/2 of the harvest on Sunday 02/21/16

12746552 965543060180233 1100239498 N

IMG 1643

Edited by Lee Taylor

Salty

Those are some nice looking teeth! Sure looks like a good place to go. Congrats! Your hard work paid off nicely!

Lee Taylor

I have proof! There are fossilized shark teeth in them there South Carolina creeks...

oc02/28/16

abcwixson

Beautiful Angy sir...we are coming back down this saturday for a hunt...i also saw the ashley phosphate creek and wondered how it was

Lee Taylor

I don't know about the apc. I found a creek over that way that i have started surveying. i have not seen anything promising yet. Hope to get back over to it. Have another I need to check out also but it is quite a hike. Need to travel light for that one. (but i suspect virgin territory) The Angy was found by the person standing next to me. Another in the group picked up an excellent 3.5" Meg (no digging, one small ding on the side). I picked up a 4" Meg (split down the middle) basically a LARGE frag. Very good condition for half a tooth! Plan to photo at some point. The 3.5 Meg photo is in the pipeline. Maybe the founder will post it here. Will be a little delay... long story

Edited by Lee Taylor

abcwixson

i need to hook up with you guys soon for a hunt...i love all the small pristine teeth we find but those big ones are alluding me recently...however i have found an area of major digging and construction that i believe to be the current hunting grounds of a certain hunter who promotes a great deal

Lee Taylor

You may already know that the large teeth are found in the large gravel. There are exceptions of course. But as a general rule it is true. We have a saying on the river, it goes like this ..... "large stuff means large stuff". The same is true in the creeks.

Salty

Ok ..I am now back home and will take pics in AM...since I forgot my camera here and didn't take it to SC with me...I had a great time hunting! Met a couple of new folks who were VERY gracious, and helpful. I did find a nice meg...not perfect, but my biggest tooth so far! I also found a few others. Not huge quantities, but I did find some good quality. I had a super time and can't wait to do it again! So in the AM I will take pics and post before it's time to go back to work. So...the funny thing is not only did I forget my camera, but we dropped our tablet and cracked it. Then on my way back from the hunt, I had to turn around at Monks Corners and turn all the way around and go back through Charleston due to RT 52 being closed across the bridge....It turned out to be a VERY long day....but a good one! Don't know why they had the road closed but there were first responders, etc everywhere!

Lee Taylor

oh that road diversion sounds like a nightmare. We are controlled by the rivers here in Charleston. We only have a few bridges. LOOKING FORWARD to the photos. Glad you had a safe trip!

Salty

OK here it is! The long awaited photos! I have also posted under ID too....due to my previous hunt. I have a tooth I need help with, and a bone from this time. Bear with me as I am using my tablet for photos.

post-17107-0-13997600-1457104360_thumb.jpg

post-17107-0-26186900-1457104379_thumb.jpg

post-17107-0-94753800-1457104450_thumb.jpg

post-17107-0-17557800-1457104469_thumb.jpg