Summerville Creek Hunts

Lee Taylor

:) HOLY MOLY!

Salty

Holy Meggy!

reddesilets

Nice, Salty! :D

Salty

There is sometimes very addictive to being able to go out into creeks or rivers and looking for the fossilized remains of creatures..funny to know that when you pick up these teeth or bones you are the first human being to ever touch this wonderful animal that roamed our earth. I somehow feel a sense of responsibility to this creature and know it was part of our history.... Long before any of us lowly people ever sniffed a breath.

Lee Taylor

very well put. i feel a connection also and wonder about the particular critter. Seems to be one of those big mysteries of life. Why me and why this particular critter from eon's ago? The fossil will spend a short period of time with you (while you live) and then it will find its way back into the earth and travel millions of years in the future. Maybe a space traveler will pick it up, 5 million years in the future, and wonder about it...

Edited by Lee Taylor

Salty

Cool thought....it all makes you wonder!

shock6906

I like when I find a tooth that's still lodged in the clay. I think about how that tooth has been in that exact spot, hasn't moved, for tens of millions of years, and then I come along and find it and dislodge it.

reddesilets

I'll have to remind Toby of that next time! :D

Lee Taylor

anybody been getting out? anyone been hunting? i need to get out an find some teeth in a bad way. I am obligated to family for Easter and cannot get out until afterwards. Happy Easter everyone!

Darktooth

Looks like you found a honeyhole. I myself like to find most of my treasures when they are already eroded out of the earth. Digging has caused so many issues that places eventually get shut down or have restrictions placed on them. Also people have been seriously hurt and even killed by digging. I'm not trying to lecture, juust food for thought. I care about my fellow fossils hunters. No fossil is worth injury or death over.

Salty

Well I can't get down until the end of April so I will be "toothless" LOL! So I shall have to run my metal detector and only have to dream of teeth---of which I confess I have had dreams of finding the goods! Happy Holidays everyone!

Lee Taylor

I think I told you that in my dreams I bought a house that had a creek in the back yard and I found high quality Megs in it! :) :) :)

Salty

Hope you got room, I'm moving in! LOL! That's funny I dream stuff like that. I also dream about finding awesome goods with my metal detector.

Lee Taylor

Well I ventured out twice this week during my lunch breaks to scout some new sites. Number one was a swamp. Number two was not very accessible. Number three I could off-road 4x4 drive to but decided to scout it another day due to the time consumption required. Number four was blocked with a gate. Number five was too much water and not cut deep. My point in posting this information is to show how much time can be consumed in scouting. Finding a good spot is just not as easy as people would have you believe. It requires time and effort and scouting of a lot of loser sites. You can find potential spots on the internet but you must go out and scout them out to find if they are worthy. I have two that I may scout this weekend and I have one that I may return to. I want to work a large mound of large gravel where I found a large one-half Meg. Salty, you were with me. Its the Otter creek large dry mound after the culverts. There must be large teeth in that mound of large gravel. It only makes sense.

Edited by Lee Taylor

Salty

Sounds good! Yes the scouting can be fun but very frustrating...and time consuming! The mound sounds interesting. I haven't had a lot of time to "scout" from afar...but if I find some possible areasI Will let you know.I am coming back down the end of April...needless to say I am tooth hungry!

Lee Taylor

getting a little tooth hungry myself

abcwixson

we are coming down tomorrow rain snow sleet or hail... :D ...hoping for some decent teeth

abcwixson

Had a great time and hunt yesterday...

post-19531-0-75434900-1459686226_thumb.jpg

abcwixson

Continued.......

post-19531-0-17285500-1459686439_thumb.jpg

Edited by abcwixson

abcwixson

One more...post-19531-0-64701100-1459686485_thumb.jpg

Lee Taylor

looks like someone had some fun and also found some teeth. I would be very happy with those. I did not dedicate any time to shark tooth hunting this past weekend. Thanks for the photo posts! Its the next best thing. I have not committed to this coming weekend yet. But it could easily happen.

Lee Taylor

really like the quality of #68...very nice indeed

abcwixson

#69 was the first tooth of the day with #68 being the last find from the first site we visited...the creeks we went to were quite barren this trip...not sure why other then the ones we go to tend to be the heaviest hunted

Vieira

Fantastic finds ^_^ .

I hope one day i can realize the dream of fossil hunting in Summerville!

Lee Taylor

Thought I would share this photo posted by one of my neighbors Len Hawley. Len is a surface hunter in West Ashley South Carolina. As always notice there is little if any organic material in this photo. Also note the grayish color of the media.