Pin Vise and needles

Raggedy Man

I am looking to upgrade from my dissection probe to a pin vise for prepping. I've had no problems with finding a suitable pin vise, but they seem to come with drill bit heads and not needles. Specifically, I'm looking for the tungsten-carbide needles. If anyone has a source and would share it, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Check out black hills institute. I got one from them that comes with 5 spare tips

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Try searching under "scribe". Here's one hit: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Squali and Auspex! This will definitely be easier than sharpening my probes after once a week.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Paul,

I've gotten scribers from HERE before.

There are carbide replacement tips available, but they are more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This has been my source for the past 20 years.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw-Materials/Metals/Carbide-Blanks/Carbide-Rounds?navid=12102067&rdrct=carbide+rod

Comes in different thicknesses so you have to make sure to get the right thickness (diameter) for your pin vise. Most pin vises come with four different chucks. You need a diamond wheel on a Dremel to cut and sharpen the carbide rod, and for microscopic stuff I use 200 grit diamond sharpening tools as well.

This has been my source for the past 20 years.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw-Materials/Metals/Carbide-Blanks/Carbide-Rounds?navid=12102067&rdrct=carbide+rod

Comes in different thicknesses so you have to make sure to get the right thickness (diameter) for your pin vise. Most pin vises come with four different chucks. You need a diamond wheel on a Dremel to cut and sharpen the carbide rod, and for microscopic stuff I use 200 grit diamond sharpening tools as well.

I've been doing the same. Carbide rod works well. Make sure you don't apply any lateral force when pressing or you will snap the smaller diameter varieties.

I also use a sewing needle for fine work. I know what you're saying... too soft. I grind it to the required shape (kind of a rounded chisel) and then heat it with a torch and quench in water to harden it.

Archived