Bell County Lower Glen Rose Layer

jpbowden

First, it was hard for me to do any climbing and lifting, so this pretty much kept me close to the ground. What I found is a 1" to 1 1/2" inch layer of hard stone made up of echinoid spines and plates, fish scales, bones, starfish, crabs, and things I have don't know what they are? We followed this layer for over 5 miles before I had to go home, (I am still very weak) there is more rain coming and should bring more stuff to light. Above this layer are a few Loriolia rosana and a Plicatula, (of which I have know understanding of) plus some rather beat up Porocystis globularis, to add there was one Texigryphea that can't be placed.

All slabs are under 6" and you are being shown only three as the others are still needed to be cleaned, these are not the most fantastic finds but raze a lot of questions for me at least :D

post-749-1240682111_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682122_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682133_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682144_thumb.jpg

post-749-1240682155_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682169_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682183_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682193_thumb.jpg

post-749-1240682221_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682244_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682259_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682282_thumb.jpg

post-749-1240682308_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240682314_thumb.jpg

Muy frio! Looks like some paleo 4-wheeler drove back & forth over an urchin convention...

What the heck is that "piece of string" lookin' thing??

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Muy frio! Looks like some paleo 4-wheeler drove back & forth over an urchin convention...

What the heck is that "piece of string" lookin' thing??

The string thing is a five pointed starfish, two legs are gone and one is folded over the right, you can get five of these guys on a dime!

Stay with it Pat! It looks like a beach!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Pat,

Nice fossils. I really like that starfish with the foram, Orbitolina texana right above it. In the last photo (fourth row, on right), is that the brachial valve of the brachiopod, Kingena wacoensis, kind od looks like it to me. Neat stuff, I like the fossil hash slabs.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Pat,

Nice fossils. I really like that starfish with the foram, Orbitolina texana right above it. In the last photo (fourth row, on right), is that the brachial valve of the brachiopod, Kingena wacoensis, kind of looks like it to me. Neat stuff, I like the fossil hash slabs.

JKFoam

On they appear to be scars with a 40X loupe, most of these are so small you can barely see anyway, I have a lot of slabs to clean and more to get from the field. JohnJ seems to be right, these are all the felling in troughs between wave actions. This is got to be Glen Rose, everything above it is Glen Rose with a good layer of Porocystis globularis, what can you tell me about this Plicatula, I have never found one this size and I love these guys.

Here are some more pics of these slabs and you can see they are not Kingena wacoensis, the slabs really need to be cleaned better but I have not the time now.

post-749-1240698128_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240698135_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240698142_thumb.jpg

Here is some of the other things found with this layer, all about within 6' above it. And a couple of the slabs to show their size.

post-749-1240698558_thumb.jpgpost-749-1240698565_thumb.jpg

...a couple of the slabs to show their size.

"You've been 'getting small', haven't you?"

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Stay with it Pat! It looks like a beach!

Great to hear from you Pat!

I agree with John! Stick with that and hopefully something cool will show.

I love that little brittle star. If you find any larger rocks 'in' the layer try popping them out and see if there are better stars underneath.

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Great to hear from you Pat!

I agree with John! Stick with that and hopefully something cool will show.

I love that little brittle star. If you find any larger rocks 'in' the layer try popping them out and see if there are better stars underneath.

Owen

I'm workin' on it.

Hey Pat,

What if this isn't Glen Rose? Porocystis globularis and Loriolia rosana occur in the lowest members of the Walnut formation. It would change your frame of reference....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey Pat,

What if this isn't Glen Rose? Porocystis globularis and Loriolia rosana occur in the lowest members of the Walnut formation. It would change your frame of reference....

I'm way below the first Walnut oyster beds on this and found to many too many Anchura monilifera Gabb above this layer. I have never found any of these in a Walnut formation here. These is still the problem that so many things that can not be ID'ed.

John, this is based on fossils I have found above it and that above me on Fort Hood is a hill that is completely a Paluxy Sand formation. I need to look at the formation higher up, but can not do it now. It does look like this is a contact zone between the two and below this layer I have not found nothing, blank. Above this there are no ammonites, few echinoids, some snails, and not much else. They had a nice place, something happened, they died, nothing else.

weird.

Rising sea level? This layer might mark the 500 years or less that a beach existed there.

Very cool in any case!

Edit: These are all very nice fossils! I am sorry I don't really know that formation. I am sure someone will help you on here though :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I don't under stand Phoenixflood?

I went back and edited it :D I just quoted you and didn't post a response :blush: ha ha, oh well :D

This shell looks what we call "kittens' paws"

MVC_514F.JPG

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I went back and edited it :D I just quoted you and didn't post a response :blush: ha ha, oh well :D

This shell looks what we call "kittens' paws"

MVC_514F.JPG

Hey Guy, no problem, yes I find a lot of them but never this size, most are around 1/4" or so, this makes them easy to find.