Venice Beach Dive

Pool Man

Hello all!

Finally started diving Venice Beach. No big ones yet, but they cant hide from me forever.

post-148-1240699603_thumb.jpg

post-148-1240699611_thumb.jpg

The sharpest side cusps, I've ever seen.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Thanks man! I believe i'm correct in saying it is a sand shark(Carcharias taurus). The thing I notice the most about the venice exposure,is that its the same formation I dig in, in North Port(east of venice by about a 1/2hr). But diving is much more relaxing than digging. Vis was about 8 ft today and considering we had 2ft vis last weekend when we scouted out the formation, it was paradise. :wub: I'm trying to figure out how to change my whole life around so I can dive as much as possible,hehe. I've already started a Pool leak detecting company :D

Nice start for a first dive! I agree that the cusplets are awesome , I have never seen one curved like that, and I have quite a few. If you can figure out how to fossil more and work less and still earn a living, let me know and I will start it here in NC as well :D

...I'm trying to figure out how to change my whole life around so I can dive as much as possible...

Just grow some gills!

Great stuff! What's that coin in the 1st pic?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks everyone! The coin is just a penny for size(found it on garage floor,hehe). I found my best yet sand shark and lemon today. The one in the lowest right is about 1 1/8". The number of complete side cusps was suprising, I always imagined the venice teeth would be more worn than my dug up teeth.

Excellent finds.

What was the water temp?

My summers at work are slower. It is my own business, and I think I could sneak away and join you some time. I have hunted the beach, but never dove for teeth off Venice.

One night I was at Sharkys and 3 young adults did it from the beach. At night! I watched them swim away from shore near dusk. When I saw them come back in a while later in the dark, I went over to see what they found. They had some nice teeth. No giants, but some great finds. I of course asked about shark encounters. One of the divers had a nurse shark swim between himself and the bottom while he was searching for teeth. Sharks dont eat people, but having a shark appear in your flashlight beam would wake me up.

Pentax Optio W60

Temp was about 76 at the surface and 73 at the deepest point(barely 20') I was getting cold near the end of the tank,but thats with a full coverage wet suit and hood and stuff. We saw lots of urchins and a few rock fish( I think they have barbs that can get you) The only big critters we ran into was another set of divers.

Watch out for those other divers, they can be like sharks, too, if they hear you found some megs... :P

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Archived