Chesapeake Bay Report

Hemipitchis

Hey everyone, I just went collecting with my dad this morning and found 212 sharks teeth and a few ray dental plates. I just thought I'd post my finds on here and see what you think...:D

bay042409.jpg

Hey everyone, I just went collecting with my dad this morning and found 212 sharks teeth and a few ray dental plates. I just thought I'd post my finds on here and see what you think...:D

bay042409.jpg

Awesome finds! im loving the cow shark tooth.

Jake.

eh, guess i should have gone to brownies today....would have had fun with you guys, but its ok you did great.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Looks like a really good haul! Not only an awesome pitcher but eagle eye as well - congrats! :D

I see 113... :P

Nice! I wish I had young eyes again...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That does it! I'm headed down there in a couple of weeks. Both you and Bmorefossil stay the heck away from Brownies or any part of the cliffs until then! :P Don't want you gettin all the good stuff... *mutters to himself* :wacko: *checks tide charts and mutters some more*

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest N.AL.hunter

Nice haul. Great start on your way to becoming a tooth addict. Be careful, it can be real hard on someone.... taking over their weekends, depleting their wallet, their grass grows tall enough to be classified as bamboo... You have been warned!

Nice haul. Great start on your way to becoming a tooth addict. Be careful, it can be real hard on someone.... taking over their weekends, depleting their wallet, their grass grows tall enough to be classified as bamboo... You have been warned!

Yes, but the tall grass has it's advantages....the local farmer has offered to cut and bale mine if he could keep the hay!! What a deal..it gives me more time to hit the cliffs :D

Very nice haul!! Keep sending those photos!

That does it! I'm headed down there in a couple of weeks. Both you and Bmorefossil stay the heck away from Brownies or any part of the cliffs until then! :P Don't want you gettin all the good stuff... *mutters to himself* :wacko: *checks tide charts and mutters some more*

eh dont worry about me i did very bad, was being bugged by a few guys wearing UMD shirts, there were no teeth around! must have been at the wrong place at the wrong time because it looked so good out, i did find some of a crab.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

We were there for a half day, arriving after sun up. Two vehicles in the parking lot and the tide starting to drop. However, as it turned out, for some reason we were the first on the beach. My hopes were high of walking up to a nice meg or chubby, but they weren't apparent to us. We stayed until hunger drove one of us to leave :rolleyes: at lunch time. But, considering we weren't there long I think that we did pretty well. Here is what I took off the beach:

finds042509.jpg

Nothing outstanding but a few interesting items. The red box highlights an Isurus retroflexus with one lobe missing and some root damage (but enough to give a positive ID). The green box was my meg for the day, a fragment of a blade. The blue box is probably a jaw fragment of a porpoise or seal. The white box is a fragment of a fish hypural fan. And the white circle is a turtle shell fragment. Also, the piece of coral in the upper RH corner is the first one that I've found there. The shell next to it is a whole Glycymeris parillis (I think), at least it was whole when I picked it up. Even though I wrapped it in protective material, some of it broke off on one side that I'll have to glue back together.

Most of all though, it was fun to get out on a beautiful spring day with my daughter...therefore it's the best trip of the spring for me.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I need a better photo set up at home.

Kevin Wilson

...Most of all though, it was fun to get out on a beautiful spring day with my daughter...therefore it's the best trip of the spring for me...

Amen :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man, You guys are really making me regret that I had to cancel my trip to Brownies last week. Will get down there soon though. Cant let you guys have all the fun.

Mike

Mike, that beach ain't goin' anywhere! Those fossils have been waiting 18 million years for you to find them! B)

Kevin Wilson

Mike, that beach ain't goin' anywhere! Those fossils have been waiting 18 million years for you to find them! B)

Good point, My optimism has returned.

Archived