Mineral Wells Fossil Park - 2-13-16

DinoMike

This is actually a genal spine from a trilobite.

Nice finds for your first trip out there. I've been collecting there for 15 years and over time have collected a few complete trilos and some other nice pieces. Jess is right about the bits and pieces. Whole specimens are hard to find out there.

I drove over Lake Bridgeport in November on my way to Young county to do some deer hunting. The lake is so full now that it looks like a completely different lake!

• I found this Informative 1

This is actually a genal spine from a trilobite.

Nice finds for your first trip out there. I've been collecting there for 15 years and over time have collected a few complete trilos and some other nice pieces. Jess is right about the bits and pieces. Whole specimens are hard to find out there.

I drove over Lake Bridgeport in November on my way to Young county to do some deer hunting. The lake is so full now that it looks like a completely different lake!

Thanks for the corrected ID! :D

Edited to add: Man, that would have been one honkin' HUGE trilobite, compared to what I've seen photos of from Mineral Wells!

Edited by DinoMike

Edited to add: Man, that would have been one honkin' HUGE trilobite, compared to what I've seen photos of from Mineral Wells!

The little trilos out at MW are mostly Ditomopyge scitula wheras the larger ones are Ameura major. I've never found a complete A. major out there but I have a cephalon that is almost 3/4" wide.

Nice finds. I love hunting out there at Mineral Wells. I found my first trilobite out there on my first trip. Since then I have found several more out there on return trips. I found separating the large chunks of clay layer by layer yields the best results for me.

• 2 weeks later...