Sandstone Fossil Repair

jonspot25

I was gifted a crocodile skull that looks to be sandstone. I got is home and my wonderful dog knocked it off the shelf and the nose broke off. I'm looking for some ideas on fixing it . Any help would be great.

post-20709-0-00992300-1455762919_thumb.jpg

i often repair my fossils with "super glue", (Cyanoacrylate)

it may work for you, depending on how porous the stone is, my repairs are mainly on shales.

I'm sorry to have to make you aware of this, but it's possible that your crocodile is a composite fake from Morocco. Hundreds of creations similar to yours were available recently at the Tuscon show:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/60849-tucson-show/page-6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have tried super glue and is didn't work. Fossils in sand stone is a thing. I live on the coast and you can find fossils along the beach in the sandstone cliffs. As far as it being a fake . I guess its a possibility. I really don't care. It's was a cool gift. I just want to fix it. I will take some more pictures tonight.

Dig out some of the interior sand, then use an epoxy. You can sprinkle the extra sand on the wet epoxy to match the sculptured exterior.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think I would have saturated the broken areas with the thinner type super glue then when dry I would have put it together with the thicker viscosity super glue. I think some watered down elmers could work too. Good luck however you do it.

RB

Yeah this definitely looks like a composite with not a lot of actual bone in it. Many of the teeth look like mosasaur too.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I have tried super glue and is didn't work. Fossils in sand stone is a thing. I live on the coast and you can find fossils along the beach in the sandstone cliffs. As far as it being a fake . I guess its a possibility. I really don't care. It's was a cool gift. I just want to fix it. I will take some more pictures tonight.

Fossils in sandstone are common, fossils made of sandstone are not, although, an imprint or a track in sandstone would qualify as a fossil composed of sandstone. Much more common are fake fossils flooding the retail market from Morocco. They're cheap and regularly fool the masses.

consolidation with thin super-glue works well then glueing the joint with thicker super-glue will hold as previously noted by RB. Since I have the materials, I consolidate with thin PVA and glue with a thicker PVA solution. The joint has to be strapped in order to hold until the acetone evaporates from the solution but this isn't too hard to do with enough rubber bands.

• I found this Informative 1

The end on view of the broken snout is an excellent picture of a ake fossil. He is right... This fossils is made of sandstone. Not a bone in that break. RJB's advice is a good way to go.

Edited by jpc