dre464

After prepping my first ammonite I decided it was necessary, before starting another prep, that I would need something to catch all of the dust and debris. So, inspired by ZiggieCie, I went DIY. However, unlike ZiggieCie, I couldn't boast about $0...

I had some scrap 3/4" plywood in the garage, which I put to good use. Most everything else I had to purchase specifically for the project. But it gave me the opportunity to buy tools I would need for other projects! I mounted an air manifold to split my air supply between my CP 9361, my Harbor Freight air eraser and an air gun. I hooked my Rigid vacuum into the side to collect the dust.

Below is the result...

post-18428-0-97118800-1455768435_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-38707600-1455768437_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-16429600-1455768440_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-88818800-1455768438_thumb.jpg

All I need now is some dolomite for the air eraser. I'm planning on picking up a 50 lb. sack from a ceramics store in Houston.

I can't wait to get started. I have some other ammonites to get to!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Hi

I agree with caterpillar.

The box build looks fantastic but the dolomite will get everywhere inside the box. Ive installed a "letter box" on mine which allows pens or abrader heads to be put through from outside. The letter box is one with draught excluder included so as you move the air line up and down it seals itself. Ive also got an extract on mine.

Sorry I can't post pictures at the moment.

Nick

Nice box build. Agree with others. I would also consider installing a adapters for glove box gloves. Your arm openings will allow dolomite to get everywhere in the room.

Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought about the problems that could arise from the dolomite getting into my air scribe or regulator. I may do a minor redesign...

Welsh Wizard: When you get a chance could you please post a picture of the letter box, draught excluder and extract. Being completely new to the blasting part of prepping (or any part of prepping, for that matter), I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing. I would greatly appreciate it!

Has anyone used glass beads for blasting? Or is it too aggressive for fossil prep?

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

I see you are using a shop vac for dust collector. Make sure you put a very fine filter on it or the dolomite or other powder will flow right through and out the exhaust. Instead of gloves, I use a piece of of old inner tube with a star pattern cut into it so my hands can slide in and out, but really if you have enough suction, there is not much need to protect the arm holes. Gloves are too much.. I do a lot of work on small stuff and I need to feel the fossil, not be separated by latex.

• I found this Informative 3

I see you are using a shop vac for dust collector. Make sure you put a very fine filter on it or the dolomite or other powder will flow right through and out the exhaust. Instead of gloves, I use a piece of of old inner tube with a star pattern cut into it so my hands can slide in and out, but really if you have enough suction, there is not much need to protect the arm holes. Gloves are too much.. I do a lot of work on small stuff and I need to feel the fossil, not be separated by latex.

I agree with jpc's assessment. I built a very similar box. I use an industrial dust collector with a four inch hose, and I vent it to the outside. No effort to seal the arm-holes or the ports for the abrasive nozzles was made because of the high rate at which the box is exhausted. Almost everything goes out the port in the back of the box. I am skeptical that a shop-vac will be adequate for this box.

My air manifold is mounted on the adjacent wall. I use glass beads almost exclusively.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Good deal on the beads , have some as to gun bluing, so that stuff can be used on fossils, also? :)

Any care needed?

PSI set low or say 40 ?

Jeff

Thanks Nick. I'm in no rush. Whenever is best for you.

I may remount my manifold on the outside of the box and run the tools in through the arm holes when I need them. I sure cut the holes big enough! Swartzenegger could get his arms in there...

I agree with jpc's assessment. I built a very similar box. I use an industrial dust collector with a four inch hose, and I vent it to the outside. No effort to seal the arm-holes or the ports for the abrasive nozzles was made because of the high rate at which the box is exhausted. Almost everything goes out the port in the back of the box. I am skeptical that a shop-vac will be adequate for this box.

My air manifold is mounted on the adjacent wall. I use glass beads almost exclusively.

I am curious, Harry... What do you sandblast with glass beads. I use bicarb and dolomite for almost everything.

I am curious, Harry... What do you sandblast with glass beads. I use bicarb and dolomite for almost everything.

I use glass beads on vertebrate fossils from the rivers. Goethite collects on these fossils, and blasting it is the least destructive way to remove it. Beads are also effective for removing matrix from Florida echinoids found in the Ocala Group Limestone.

post-42-0-07555600-1455982833_thumb.jpg post-42-0-73454700-1455982950_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I am nearing completion of my blast cabinet. I had intended only using soda or dolomite, so Harry's glass beads brings more options to consider. I have alot of echinoids so a question for Harry, what size nozzle and psi would you recommend as a starting point?

Thanks

Also Harry your photo's are extremely professional looking and helpful !

Hi dre

Here's my box when working:

post-11234-0-98525900-1456071042_thumb.jpg

Sorry about picture being small, I can't find a larger one.

It's out of action at the moment but here's a picture of the letter box I mentioned. I pass through my pen or blaster head and the pipe can move up and down quite freely and the draft excluder fibres keep dust in and allow air to enter for the extract.

post-11234-0-96066800-1456071151_thumb.jpg

Nick

• I found this Informative 1

No effort to seal the arm-holes or the ports for the abrasive nozzles was made because of the high rate at which the box is exhausted.

If you would try to seal everything properly, you would create a (slight) vacuum. This can even suck in your glass window. Would be dangerous.

By the way, never use acrylic sheets for a blasting cabinet - glass is much better and cheaper. Acrylic sheets will get blind within very short time.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Nick,

The letterbox is kind of what I had in mind, only I was picturing foam instead of bristles. I'm gonna look around for one of those. Thanks for posting the picture!

Daniel

Hi Daniel

No problem.

I've used toughened glass for mine. I just got it from a hardware store. I think it was a bathroom shelf.

With respect to sealing or not. It depends how you put a suction on the box. You can pretty much seal the box and use a low suction in-line bathroom fan venting outside. Alternatively, you can use a high suction dust collector approach (still vent outside) but leave a hole somewhere in the box that allows air to be drawn into the system.

I also use gloves as well because dolomite is really fine and can be an irritant on the skin, especially when fired through a compressed air line.

Nick

What do you use for high suction?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."