Boneheadz

I had an opportunity to go down to Westmoreland twice this week because I was lucky enough to have off work. The first day I took my GF with me because she had off as well. The first day was pretty nice and sunny, the wind wasn't a factor that day so it was perfect for hunting in the water. Being down there only a short time I found one of the most beat up shamer megs I've ever found. Im not sure how it could've gotten this bad, but atleast it was a good sign. We found a few teeth that day including a decent little Snaggletooth. On the second day i went down by myself and found that the wind had picked up significantly from the previous day. I was limited to whatever was laying on the beach. Luckily, I was able to find a couple teeth including a beat up Mako and a nice upper snaggletooth. Here are some pics for you to enjoy. If anyone has any theories to what happened to this meg, I'd love to hear them. The inside of it is mushy and pretty much broke apart in my hand.post-18393-0-90938600-1455856328_thumb.jpgpost-18393-0-64000100-1455856350_thumb.jpgpost-18393-0-19922700-1455856424_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Boneheadz

Mushy meg probably came from the iron layer. Just above or below it and the teeth get that nice orange coloration and streaking. If buried in it they seem to turn to mush at least that is what I have found in a few similar examples. The same goes for shells etc... in that layer. Most shells from that layers will just turn to dust if you try to pick them up.

Hokiehunter, do you think that is due to the density of the iron layer or because of the chemical makeup? Also, I've found plenty of blood red fossils in the past and figured they've come in contact with iron, but this is the first time I've found something that wasn't almost rock hard. So is this kind of condition seem to be rare?

The PH of the iron layer is about 4; this takes a toll on the integrity of everything in it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived