Second Time Fossil Hunting and I Found This... What is it?

McHorse

Recently on my first fossil hunt I found a nice piece of whale bone. So yesterday I returned to the same spot and found this. It was found in Motunau I think fossils in this location are from the pliocene to miocene. Usually marine fossils are found here. Photos to follow. What do you think It could be?

post-20417-0-94863500-1456043404_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing the piece in post #7 is part of a baleen whale maxilla. Contact forum member "Boesse" and he will be able to identify this. He is familiar with marine mammals from New Zealand.

• I found this Informative 1

I had the same facial expression on my face when I found my first fossil :D but mine was a mere quarter of a really rough ammonite when I was about 10 years old found on the Jurassic Coast of England. I still have it.

It does look a little scary looking for fossils at the bottom of that cliff face though...

I can't help with the ID, but wanted to say congrats on your impressive find.

I also wanted to second John's thoughts on the high wall. This would be a restricted area in a commercial mine. You're probably already more than aware of the risk, but since you said this was only your second trip, it's worth making sure... Please stay cognizant of the risk of falling material when collecting in this type of area. I've seen large chunks break loose from similar looking walls that could easily have crushed a human or pet. Be sure to treat the high walls like this with the respect they deserve so that you can continue to enjoy collecting for many years to come!

Best Regards.

Darrell

Thanks for the replies. I know what you mean about the cliff face I tend to keep well away from them. The photos a bit deceptive where i'm standing is at least 20-30m from the base of the cliff and as you can see in the back ground there was a recent slip at the start of this year, where just in front I made my first find. Ironically these cliffs are at a fairly popular beach where people walk past daily and the only thing to warn people is a small sign.

Thanks for the message- that is certainly a sliver of the snout of a small baleen whale; the cylindrical-like bone is the lower jaw. The elongate grooves are in the maxilla, and transmit arteries that supply the baleen-growing tissues in the gingiva.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for your help Boesse!

Would you have a rough estimate of the age of this fossil and how common theses fossils are around motunau and new zealand?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can make out, is the maxilla and what appear to be a number of disarticulated bones that make up the "snout", lying on top of the lower jaw and therefore the long thin piece of bone shown in pictures 6 and 16 is not actually a part of the cylindrical lower jaw?

Thanks a lot again.

Edited by McHorse