Southeast Texas Fossil ID Assistance Requested

droden

A few months ago, I traveled to Jasper, Texas for a family event. On the drive home, I took a side road about fifteen minutes North of Jasper and found a creek that looked interesting. The creek was flowing well, and there was a lot of material in the creek bed with water rushing over it. The attached pictures show specimens that I collected from the creek that day. From the locale and appearance, I had thought these to be Palmoxylon. However, in looking at numerous online images, I wasn’t able to find any petrified palm that looked quite like these samples. I’m thinking that this may just be due to these specimens being extremely weathered, but I’m not sure. I would appreciate identification assistance from those of you with more knowledge in this area.

Thanks!

Specimen 1:

post-20688-0-43274800-1456089969_thumb.jpg post-20688-0-83590900-1456089974_thumb.jpg post-20688-0-68041100-1456089979_thumb.jpg

Specimen 2:

post-20688-0-04686800-1456089986_thumb.jpg post-20688-0-17050000-1456089993_thumb.jpg post-20688-0-03188900-1456090000_thumb.jpg

I've run out of room for pictures in this post, so I'll add one more with an additional view of specimen 2.

You are right, not palm. Were you near a bridge or rock covered embankment? Downstream perhaps? This looks to be a piece of limestone riprap with some calcite in it. Sometimes it contains some fossils of shells. I have a few pieces of these myself and have left quite a few behind as they can be interesting but heavy. I have no idea where they quarry this stuff or if it is even from Texas.

You were in the right area to find some fossil wood. Better luck next time.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delayed thank you. Between work and some medical issues, I haven't been online much lately. Anyway, thanks very much for your responses. These were indeed located downstream of a small concrete bridge. They didn't seem to be part of a riprap placement, however, as there weren't very many rocks in the area and the bulk of the stream bed was sand. I did find some other small pieces at the same time and location that were definitely petrified wood. I just had no clue what these were, although I agree that they are composed of limestone / calcite. Another interesting thing about these is that the calcite portions fluoresce a really nice green under uv / blacklight.

Thanks again.

Geological (though at first i had a worm tube vibe going),

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived