Tennessees Pride

It truly was a pleasure banging some Coon Creek formation with Herb. This is one funny guy! He had me laughing most of the day...but when he got serious, the bones started coming out! I took him to 2 different localities yesterday; the first was what one would imagine as the "classic" Coon Creek formation layers....more shells than a man could shake a stick at! Outstanding recoveries in invertebrate paleontology were made, including the first Ammonite shell I've ever actually seen recovered first hand. It was only a partial, but boy oh boy what a stunning gem...it still displayed the original outer surface glow and was a purple color! Whoa! Also recovered was a shell I've never seen in literature yet, Herb likewise was wondering about it's identity... I have high hopes for that specimen. Herb I hope will post the invertebrates on this topic when the material is ready for display, as, I kept nothing, I wanted him to enjoy a great visit and leave out loaded. Our second stop was the good'ol Sawmill site in Decatur co. Tn. This is the site I posted the topic: "Exact Location Of Dinosaur Bones, Crystals, Marine Reptiles, And More". Specimens recovered from the site included Mosasaur bones, disarticulated Crab parts (pinchers, segments, at least one caprice, ect.), ghost shrimp, gastropod molds, ect. One noteworthy specimen Herb took back to Kentucky was a nucleated concretion that displayed a ghost shrimp burrow with a gastropod mold right beside it...very cool. Here I will load all the photos on the fossil recoveries which aren't many, Herb, add us some photos as they become available man. :)

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Tennessees Pride & Herb banging it out. This is his happy face. :D

post-14571-0-00583300-1456102403_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Boom!!! Yea!!! I was starting to worry that this would just be an average fossil hunt...then Herb pulled out the Big Guns on me! Kentucky has a new vert addition, and it's huge, the photos just don't do the specimen justice. This Mosasaur material is petrified and very heavy stuff! There's a monster under those sediments!

post-14571-0-96792900-1456103218_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

So, as the sun was starting to set, he gave me exact find location information before heading out and said go check it out...oh boy I did. :) recovered 3 good associated bone frags...also found evidence of someone recovering material in the exact area a little before us...they had raked back the sediments minorly with their hand. This should amount to 7 pieces of the Mosasaur! I'm all but certain we have discovered the disarticulated remains of one huge animal in a small section of the Sawmill site that has been predated! Much more of the reptile will be recovered as the sediments weather away.

--- Joshua

I began at the very location and started hunting away from it in a spiral fashion, making g larger and larger circles. First recovery pictured here... Is this a jaw frag?

post-14571-0-63477000-1456104230_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-36556700-1456104382_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Next frag, something like 3 inches by 2 inches. Sorry, the only photo available currently, I haven't cleaned the specimen yet.

post-14571-0-57638000-1456104471_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

A couple views of Herbs big-0 Mosasaur vert, sediments still covering it.

post-14571-0-59125000-1456105105_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-80279600-1456105142_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Sunset came, what a great ending to an ejoyable day with friends. Hope to see you again Herb! :)

post-14571-0-38840500-1456105319_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Post those awesome invertebrates here when you get'em prepared man. ;)

--- Joshua

I began at the very location and started hunting away from it in a spiral fashion, making g larger and larger circles. First recovery pictured here... Is this a jaw frag?

Looks like a section of turtle shell to me.

Clean your finds, Joshua. :popcorn:

Hunting with Herb is a pleasure. He knows...how to "kid an 'ole kidder." :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Looks like a section of turtle shell to me.

Hey PaleoRon

Wasn't thinking turtle, but I'll sure clean it and get back with you there. Thank you sir.

--- Joshua

Clean your finds, Joshua. :popcorn:

Hunting with Herb is a pleasure. He knows...how to "kid an 'ole kidder." :D

Hey JohnJ. I can see you know what i'm talking about :D

I'll sure clean and post better photos quick....stuff has been way to crazy for a little over a week now. John, I did that convention I'd previously posted about...it was a runaway success! I've been in newspapers, on tv, all the stuff. Have a tremendous amount of stuff to update on the Forum,and am now pressed for time to leave out for Birmingham. As soon as I can reach a point where things aren't as crazy, I'll update stuff...these bones here too.

--- Joshua

Big news for Tennessee. As soon as I can get to a point where I can set down and load a bunch of stuff, I'll post it in the right topics JohnJ. The main topic will be that one I started awhile back: "You And 48,000 Other People Will Have A Chance To View A Selection Of My Material."

post-14571-0-87601400-1456144686_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Josh,

Thanks for the great report.

I enjoy seeing your finds, and your writing style.

Glad to see you and your daughter in the spotlights - a well deserved honor, I think. :)

Take your time, and get to posting when you get the chance. We await your next set of incredible posts with anticipation.

Oh,.. and popcorn. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::P;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey TP, I enjoy your enthusiasm. You are welcome in Texas any time.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Excellent report! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Thanks.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Josh,

Thanks for the great report.

I enjoy seeing your finds, and your writing style.

Glad to see you and your daughter in the spotlights - a well deserved honor, I think. :)

Take your time, and get to posting when you get the chance. We await your next set of incredible posts with anticipation.

Oh,.. and popcorn. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::P;)

Regards,

Tim, you are too kind, and thank you very much. :)

I promise to post a lot just as soon as I can catch a break...maybe tonight after hitting Birmingham. Once again, thank you for your kindness you've always shown me.

--- Joshua

Hey TP, I enjoy your enthusiasm. You are welcome in Texas any time.

Uncle Siphuncle, sir, i'm extremely flattered with that proposition! One day when I make it back to good'ol Texas, I promise to go out of my way to come and meet you. :) And if you ever find yourself around Tennessee, I'll meet up with you and put you on some real good fossil hunting, promise. ( As long as i'm in the area...if not, I'll guide you in to locations by phone and make sure you have a enjoyable visit...and leave out loaded. :) )

--- Joshua

Excellent report! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Thanks.

squali, thank you sir, sure hope to add more to this soon, and Herb will most likely post the inverts here too...man they were pretty...lots were doubles, displaying the complete specimens.

--- Joshua