Whose tooth from Merritt Island

old bones

This tooth was found in Sacha's Merritt Island, Florida (Pleistocene) matrix. It is in pretty good shape... the roots are odd. Any ideas?

post-13648-0-76753200-1456183728_thumb.jpg

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Ummm...depends on if you want to keep it. If you give it away, tell us whose it is...then I can tell you. :P

(I'm no help, at all. :) )

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

There is something funny about the "roots"; I do not see any bony texture, and they look hollow (as if the whole was a kind of hollow cone that is now missing the sides). Overall, it really isn't very toothlike to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Julianna, does it appear broken on the opposite missing view?

There is something funny about the "roots"; I do not see any bony texture, and they look hollow (as if the whole was a kind of hollow cone that is now missing the sides). Overall, it really isn't very toothlike to me.

mammal incisors are single-rooted.. this is something else.

I knew it didn't look right...

Julianna, does it appear broken on the opposite missing view?

The other side is just like the one showing... I missed a view when photographing... The thing looks complete, only the brownish enamel partially gone.

Now I am very curious about this.

It looks like the Sheepshead (Archosargus sp.) tooth I found in the same matrix, but with some enamel worn away, the inside hollowed out, and the sides broken open.

Here's mine for comparison:

post-10984-0-86720900-1456246086_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-91038300-1456246090_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-02498800-1456246096_thumb.jpg

Stephen

It looks like the Sheepshead (Archosargus sp.) tooth I found in the same matrix, but with some enamel worn away, the inside hollowed out, and the sides broken open.

attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic A, Merritt Island Micros.JPG attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic C, Merritt Island Micros.JPG attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic B, Merritt Island Micros.JPG

This looks like a good probability. :)

attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic A, Merritt Island Micros.JPG attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic C, Merritt Island Micros.JPG attachicon.gifSheepshead Tooth #1, pic B, Merritt Island Micros.JPG

That makes so much sense! I have dozens of those teeth from different matrices, but never would have recognized it in this condition. Thanks, PA Fossil finder! :)

And thanks to all who made suggestions.

Julianna

Archived