A neat little dermal denticle from Sharktooth hill!

ynot

Hey Y'All,

I found this cool little denticle while searching some micromatrix that I collected last year. It is the only one of this type that i have found so far.

Just thought that Y'All might like to see it.

It is 2.25 millimeters long.

post-16416-0-09764300-1456337347_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-79494700-1456337379_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-11519300-1456337405_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-48715600-1456337414_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-51209000-1456337433_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-80040800-1456337453_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-65784100-1456337507_thumb.jpg

I tried to get different light and angles to show the spiral ridges that run the length of this denticle, and match up to the cusps around the edges.

Hope You find it entertaining!

Tony

PS I hope I identified it correctly- but with My track record I would not be surprised if it is actually a tooth.

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wow! Just hours after you posted this... Look what I found! :D

post-10984-0-67781600-1456371627_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-85599800-1456371631_thumb.jpg

A cool little denticle that looks similar to yours. I found it in Sharktooth Hill micro matrix - that YOU sent me last year! Crazy coincidence.

• I found this Informative 1

Stephen

That is way cool! Yours looks more symmetrical than the one I found - but I bet they came from the same species of shark.

Thanks for posting it.

Tony

Really nice! Both may be from a ray versus a shark. Shark placoid scales tend to be very small, usually less than a millimeter. Ray placoid scales can enlarge into bulbous to thorn like scales (dermal denticles) found along the midline of the back and tail in many rays and can be much larger. There is a lot of different terminology used for these scales but the larger ones are ray (Brambles are the exception but these aren't bramble).

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 3 weeks later...

Both are real nice finds and I love the color of them. Most of my stuff is black to grey. Thanks for posting.

Hey Y'All,

I found this cool little denticle while searching some micromatrix that I collected last year. It is the only one of this type that i have found so far.

Just thought that Y'All might like to see it.

It is 2.25 millimeters long.

attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0004.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0010.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0018.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0019.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0017.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0020.jpg attachicon.gifaaab wiered tooth-0001.jpg

I tried to get different light and angles to show the spiral ridges that run the length of this denticle, and match up to the cusps around the edges.

Hope You find it entertaining!

Tony

PS I hope I identified it correctly- but with My track record I would not be surprised if it is actually a tooth.

Please tell me more specification. Which place exactly did you find these and which age do u think? what sediment was that. sorry I don't know much about Sharktooth hill. thanks

Edited by mohsenamini

Please tell me more specification. Which place exactly did you find these and which age do u think? what sediment was that. sorry I don't know much about Sharktooth hill. thanks

This dentical was found in micro matrix collected in the east pit of the Ernst quarries, Round mountain silt "sharktooth hill", kern county, bakersfield \, California. The age of the formation is approximately 15.5 million years old, middle Miocene.

Tony

Hey mohsenamini... do a search on this site for both "sharktooth hill" and "STH". It is a really cool Miocene site in California where the local museum and landowner organize fossil digs.

http://www.sharktoothhill.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&page_id=11

PS.. nice to see someone from Iran here.

Hey mohsenamini... do a search on this site for both "sharktooth hill" and "STH". It is a really cool Miocene site in California where the local museum and landowner organize fossil digs.

http://www.sharktoothhill.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&page_id=11

PS.. nice to see someone from Iran here.

Very thanks about info :)

im glad to be here with you guys. hope we can work better on fossils in Iran.