Sign in to follow this  
Kenny151

Heading to Chaco Canyon this weekend...

Kenny151

Hey everyone, I'm thinking I'm gonna head to Chaco Canyon this weekend to take in the sites and history. Does anyone know if there is any fossiliferous rock in the area or on the drive from Albuquerque to there? Taking a quick look at the geology map of the area I see it is all Campanian in Age and made of marine sandstone, marine shale etc. I'm no geologist so I do not know if this means I will find fossils, haha. I like the subject and want to learn more. If anyone knows anything I'd love to learn :).

Also, I would not be opposed to driving a little more or out of the way if there were some real neat areas!

-Kenny

xykc1ce.png

Edited by Kenny151

PFOOLEY

Quite a delicious map you have posted.

There is fossiliferous rock from here, all the way to there. Understanding the land ownership and use is key. This area is largely Indian land with pockets of explorable terrain.

I have been told Chaco Canyon is well worth the visit.

Canadawest

Chaco is one of my all time favourite sites. Been there and camped a couple of times.

I don't recall looking for fossils but did find more pottery shards along the road than near any other Anasazi area. I'll defer to others in the southwest but I learned to stop along roads where road graders had gone along and dug into the edges. I learned by following a grader outside Petrified Park one time. Incredible chunks were laying at the side of the road when the dust (cough) settled. Similar going into Chaco.

Advice...check the road conditions before you go. I always drove a Jeep and needed it the last time. However, I haven't been there in 15 years. We were only one of two campers one time as there were well needed road condition warnings.

Edited by Canadawest

Kenny151

Quite a delicious map you have posted.

There is fossiliferous rock from here, all the way to there. Understanding the land ownership and use is key. This area is largely Indian land with pockets of explorable terrain.

I have been told Chaco Canyon is well worth the visit.

Ah, I see. That's all new to me, being new to NM in general. Any maps or surveys of land to tell who owns what?

Also, here is a link to where I downloaded the geologic map of NM. It's quite large and quite detailed. I think you can order them in a physical format but the download is free. Very interesting.

https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/publications/maps/geologic/state/home.cfml

Edited by Kenny151

Kenny151

Chaco is one of my all time favourite sites. Been there and camped a couple of times.

I don't recall looking for fossils but did find more pottery shards along the road than near any other Anasazi area. I'll defer to others in the southwest but I learned to stop along roads where road graders had gone along and dug into the edges. I learned by following a grader outside Petrified Park one time. Incredible chunks were laying at the side of the road when the dust (cough) settled. Similar going into Chaco.

Advice...check the road conditions before you go. I always drove a Jeep and needed it the last time. However, I haven't been there in 15 years. We were only one of two campers one time as there were well needed road condition warnings.

Yeah, regardless of fossils the location seems amazing. Pottery would be very cool.

Thanks for the advice. I saw on the website they recommend the same. However, looking on google maps it seems like the road is paved all the way. Still going to give them a call before hand.

PFOOLEY

Holman's has BLM use maps.