Whiskey Bridge And Petrified Wood Hunting Trip

silverphoenix

Went out petrified wood hunting and out to Whiskey Bridge with MikeD this weekend and had a great trip! A little much excitement for one day, but I brought back some nice finds though. I'll show the Whiskey Bridge trip first--I found some very nice teeth and a fish jaw as well. I also came across a water moccasin that I thought was dead, but when I went to pick it up with my pick axe, it bolted for the water and startled me pretty badly...new lesson: ALWAYS treat a snake as though it is alive, no matter how dead it looks!!!!!

These are all from a new lens I found as opposed to the older one.

CIMG3492.jpg

CIMG3493.jpg

CIMG3494.jpg

CIMG3496.jpg

Here's the better petrified wood pieces I found, including a complete petrified wood round (not for sure what it's from--it's sort of squared)

CIMG3499.jpg

CIMG3500.jpg

CIMG3501.jpg

CIMG3502.jpg

CIMG3497.jpg

CIMG3498.jpg

The rain had raised the water levels considerably, but there was still nice stuff out there. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the rain stops and the water goes down.

Nice finds! I especially like the gastropod selection. The square piece of wood looks like an old fence post which gives it some mystique.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Im with shamalama. I like the gastros. Can I ask what age this stuff is?

RB

Middle Eocene, ~35 mya, Stone City member of the Crockett Formation. See HERE for more detail.

+/- 35 MYBP is very late Eocene.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

+/- 35 MYBP is very late Eocene.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, the fossils are supposed to be Middle Eocene.

A few pics to add from the trip. It seems a few was all I took. Spent too much time hunting.

Whiskey Bridge. Recent rains washed down a lot of new dirt and laid a lot of fossils on the surface. silverphoenix is in the background.

post-534-1241150891_thumb.jpg

The river was up a few feet. Also a big dead snake that SP brought back to life (didn't know it was in the picture at the time) . It is a least 5 ft. long. Apparently, if you are a snake, guts hanging out of your mouth (or maybe your partially digested dinner) doesn't mean you are dead.

post-534-1241150873_thumb.jpg

If you look carefully in the center of the pic, you can see the root of a shark tooth in the matrix along with shells and shell fragments.

post-534-1241150910_thumb.jpg

A little dental work and a nice, big tooth extracted by silverphoenix.

post-534-1241150950_thumb.jpg

At another area we collected, a fossil collecting mama bird and eggs. The rectangular rocks are petrified wood. The ripe blackberries were good, too.

post-534-1241151148_thumb.jpg

Excavating a big hunk of petrified wood.

post-534-1241152132_thumb.jpg

Nice! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.