-Andy-

Guide to reporting fake fossils on our favorite auction site

12 posts in this topic

I reported several obvious fake trilobites yesturday. They're no longer posted...

It works!

Best regards,

Paul

Well done, Andy. Your topic is Pinned. :)

I reported several obvious fake trilobites yesturday. They're no longer posted...

It works!

Best regards,

Paul

You're doing great Paul!

Well done, Andy. Your topic is Pinned. :)

Thanks John!

I've reported both fakes and the illegal sale of modern marine mammal stuff and I have never seen an auction removed. 

I tried this once and was quite confused. There doesn't seem to be an option of leaving some comments as to why I think something is fake? Is ebay supposed to read our minds? :ank:

On 10/8/2016 at 10:21 AM, sdsnl said:

I tried this once and was quite confused. There doesn't seem to be an option of leaving some comments as to why I think something is fake? Is ebay supposed to read our minds? :ank:

Unfortunately eBay doesn't allow you to leave comments or reviews unless you've brought from the seller before.

I assume if you were determined enough, you could call eBay directly to report the item.

All one can do is work with the tools provided and it has proven to get results.

I've found contacting the seller directly and threatening to report them is very effective.   What they fear, regardless of what eBay does, works!

I have done that (contacted seller) on several occasions and for the most part, they thanked me for informing them and either changed the listing information or removed it.  Then there are the ones that completely ignore you and proceed to keep the item listed as is, in which case, you need to attempt to go through ebay channels.  I saw one seller had a listing for a Megalodon tooth, but all his photos were of a truck camper shell.  He wrote me back thanking me, he had no idea it posted like that.

"I saw one seller had a listing for a Megalodon tooth, but all his photos were of a truck camper shell. "

I probably could have spotted that as a fake.

9 hours ago, tmaier said:

"I saw one seller had a listing for a Megalodon tooth, but all his photos were of a truck camper shell. "

I probably could have spotted that as a fake.

Yeah, me too, even from Canada. Go Jays

I'm from Missouri, and yes, so all I can say is Show Me!