Guide to reporting fake fossils on our favorite auction site

-Andy-

I recently purchased a bunch of junk. I did not know until a reputable dealer from Europe confirmed my suspicions. But by the time the confirmation happened, I had already pulled the trigger on the purchase. I started a case with online. The seller told me to take my nasty reviews off and for de=escalating, would give me a partial refund. (I have it all documented)(called ratings extortion, and is against policy). My reputable dealer from Europe told me forget online, go to PayPal. I did this and the online claim was automatically cancelled. A few days later, PayPal resolved the case by saying I could have a full refund if I sent the items back(at my cost). I then called PayPal and said they were counterfeit, It was then reopened and I had to submit proof. 

From there, I found help from a leader from London. He referred me to a paleontologist. This new friend wrote a damaging letter on my behalf. This was submitted, and I won immediately, full refund, no return.

Last checked, the seller is trying to appeal. The seller has no idea of the evidence I submitted. 

Now I have an eye for crappy composites. Under microscope the difference is obvious.

See the holes, cracks, and "hair". Take note of the back side and different colored material used to make the base.

fake1-mag2.JPG

fake1-mag5.JPG

fake2-mag1.JPG

fake2-mag5.JPG

fake2-mag3.JPG

fake3-mag1.JPG

fake3-mag6.JPG

fake2-mag3.JPG

004-fake-03.JPG

fake2-mag4.JPG

Edited by MattJ
removed gender and locations
  • I found this Informative 1

Sorry this happened to you @MattJ. Fortunately, you found us and can post items here before you pull the proverbial trigger. :) Although it sounds like you've had a good outcome (pending appeal by the seller aside), you will never get to recoup the cost of the time you had to spend to make your case to secure that refund. :( 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Sorry this happened to you @MattJ. Fortunately, you found us and can post items here before you pull the proverbial trigger. :) Although it sounds like you've had a good outcome (pending appeal by the seller aside), you will never get to recoup the cost of the time you had to spend to make your case to secure that refund. :( 

I called PayPal on the appeal. They said the case is closed for me.. they are not done with the seller. I will not have to return any money.

Edited by MattJ
removed gender

36 minutes ago, jpc said:

interesting tale.  Can you explain what we are looking at in your photos.  

The photos were taken with a microscope. They show holes and cracks where the composite  material shrank from the fake. Also in two photo's are fiber going into and back out of the object. My point to those two photos was that trilobites don't have hair. (blue in one pic).

• 1 year later...

another total-fake-fossil, skull could be real but everything else is school-chalk :s_cry:

[Image removed as per rules: Please do not post links to websites, nor identify or incriminate a seller in any way- Do Not Copy or screenshot advertisement verbiage or post prices. -- Staff]