sabertooth cat skull real or fake?!

wootwoot

Hello,

My first post on this forum! Can you help me to identify this fossil and if it is real or fake?

Thanks! Any comment or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The last part the left canine has been removed. It's glued on to the ?fossil*?

post-20773-0-62885000-1456428647_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-73908600-1456428654_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-04535500-1456428657_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-34561000-1456428659_thumb.jpg

post-20773-0-53288500-1456428661_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What do you know of its origin?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I doubt there's anybody here that's going to tell you one way or another based on photos. There are tons of really good reproductions out there of saber toothed cats skulls. Definitely need more info.

Couple of additional questions. Do you know if any work, repair or resto has been done to the skull? Is the source, if you do not own it, domestic or foreign? a dealer or private?

It appears to be machairodus giganteus from China or Mongolia. Looks to be authentic with some restoration and a bit of make-up, but could be a really good reproduction. Problem with these fossils is that they are prohibited by U.S. Customs and other federal regulations so I would exercise caution if that is the origin.

Edited by sseth
  • I found this Informative 2

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Thanks for the reply guys. I have no idea but the person i got it from said it has 5% restoration on the bottom jaw. What's the best way to get it authenticated? Bring to a museum? Find a paleontologist?

If it's real, it's an awesome piece! And valuable. I would say either of your suggestions would be a good place to start.

Seth knows this kind of material and since he's said it could possibly come from Mongolia and China, I would be cautious. They're starting to do a better job at stopping material from being exported and are cracking down on high end specimens.

Edited by Runner64

Thanks for the reply guys. I have no idea but the person i got it from said it has 5% restoration on the bottom jaw. What's the best way to get it authenticated? Bring to a museum? Find a paleontologist?

No if it's Asian you need to be cautious. Contact The Natural Canvas fossils he is in San Mateo Calif. His contact info is on his Facebook page and so is an image of your skull. I hope John will be able to help you authentic it he is a fossil appraiser.

Edited by Troodon

I thought this skull looked familiar. Guess what? It comes from the same guy who's saturating eBay with fake Mexican fossils.

post-4888-0-37332100-1456475389_thumb.jpg

Sure, it looks good, and there's a chance it's real. But is this really the kind of risk you want to take?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 9 months later...

Maybe this document helps : Deng T, Zhang Y X, Tseng Z J et al., 2016. A skull of Machairodus horribilis and new evidence for gigantism as a mode of mosaic evolution in machairodonts (Felidae, Carnivora). Vertebrata PalAsiatica, 54(4): 302−318

I was referring to the possible species of the region, document that appears in November 2016, later than February 26, as an update to the thread, strengthening the idea that is not a fake.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 20 December, 2016 at 7:33 PM, steelhead9 said:

It's real. I prepped it.

And that signals END OF STORY.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!