My Jurassic Park: Pachycephalosaurid Domes & Teeth from Hell Creek Fm

Troodon

If you look at a skull, see attached, its made up of elements that are fused together.  Some of the elements are indeed pretty robust but in general it's still pretty thin especially were they come together.    Domes are the most solid portion of the skull but the elements that attaches to it are not. 

Screenshot_20161106-113903.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Finding a full spike cluster is super rare and I've only seen a handful collected or for sale.   Single nodes from clusters or other parts of the skull is what is typically found and much more common .   Skull domes from more mature animals or other types of Pachycephalosaurid's is probably the next type of skull part found, rare but they are out there. 

Let me add that the most common skull item found are the teeth.   Most sold has Pachy are actually Thescelosaurus and can be difficult to ID.

Edited by Troodon
Added last comment
  • I found this Informative 5

• 1 year later...

A cool new skull element was at my doorstep today.   Love it when the mailman rings the door and presents you with a package of goodies. 

Jugal.thumb.jpg.eb6eb3f6139336c2ddaa53931185c728.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Picked up a few new items at the Tucson show.  No repair on any of these specimens

Dave Evans believes this might be a new species.  Will need to get in contact with him to follow-up 

PachyDome1.thumb.jpg.f485042a4b106e9556da4db9df17959e.jpg

Juvie Squamosal  

PachySquamosal.thumb.jpg.52d6eee244e5c3103f16aa89edc305f9.jpg 

Big Spike

PachySpike1.thumb.jpg.a35eaed72689a7ddaea1079fcf453ed8.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Man You did good this year.

Some really nice additions for Your collection!

Thanks, Try my best why the Tucson show is special everyone brings their best.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great fossils as always. Ironically, what impresses me is how consistent your photography techniques are.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 hour ago, -Andy- said:

Great fossils as always. Ironically, what impresses me is how consistent your photography techniques are.

Thanks on both counts

I have not photographed any of my Pachy material other that those items associated with the skull, less teeth.  Just picked up this cool tooth so its a good place start.

The only completely rooted Canine (Fang) tooth I've seen so it has a good home.  Have quite a few crowns some a bit larger.

CanineTooth.thumb.jpg.528cae9f3c465d75383d08324ea3b528.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, Troodon said:

Picked up a few new items at the Tucson show.  No repair on any of these specimens

Dave Evans believes this might be a new species.  

Well Dave was correct back in 2019.  A good match for the new species just described Platytholus clemensi

Have not changed photo ID

PachyDome1.thumb.jpg.f485042a4b106e9556da4db9df17959e.jpg.4d1a8ef80aa89614dc219c747585d7d8.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 3