Shark Teeth ID, Hypotodus? Jaekelotodus trigonalis? other?

RichardC

Hi All,

I found these two teeth in Bracklesham Bay, Sussex, UK. After a good while looking at various websites I found a virtually identical tooth marked as Jaekelotodus trigonalis & this species is found at Bracklesham Bay however, I thought the teeth from this shark generally have two cusplets on either side? Other species from this site the teeth are similar to are Hypotodus Atlanticus & Hypotodus verticalis. I don't think it is Striatolamia macrota as there are no striations on the enamel / the cusplets are not scalloped...

The height for each is roughly 2.5 cm, there are no serrations along the edges and the second tooth is curved upwards as shown in the second photo (would this difference be as one is from the upper jaw & one from the lower?).

Just wanted to check if anyone collects the same species from other locations and could help me with the ID? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Richard

post-20802-0-98442500-1456694015_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-49961100-1456694167_thumb.jpg

post-20802-0-76850600-1456694461_thumb.jpg

I also agree that it is Jaekelotodus. It can have one or two pairs of cusplets. Most of the teeth I've seen have had two pairs. I think they are both lower teeth.

Hi All,

I found these two teeth in Bracklesham Bay, Sussex, UK. After a good while looking at various websites I found a virtually identical tooth marked as Jaekelotodus trigonalis & this species is found at Bracklesham Bay however, I thought the teeth from this shark generally have two cusplets on either side? Other species from this site the teeth are similar to are Hypotodus Atlanticus & Hypotodus verticalis. I don't think it is Striatolamia macrota as there are no striations on the enamel / the cusplets are not scalloped...

The height for each is roughly 2.5 cm, there are no serrations along the edges and the second tooth is curved upwards as shown in the second photo (would this difference be as one is from the upper jaw & one from the lower?).

Just wanted to check if anyone collects the same species from other locations and could help me with the ID? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Richard

Archived