Vert

PrehistoricFlorida

It's almost got the ball and socket look of a reptile vert, but it looks way too big for a reptile around here.... I'm sure you can tell, I'm clueless...

I'd say its a large Gator or Croc vert. It looks very similar to what I've been calling a gator vert, but yours is more complete and twice as big :D

It's not gator.

Ah, the "bet ya can't guess what it is" game. Ok, I'll start --- Did it have tusks or horns? :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Ah, bison. So, horns was the answer. :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I'd say its a large Gator or Croc vert. It looks very similar to what I've been calling a gator vert, but yours is more complete and twice as big :D

Cris' instinct was good. Pool Man deserves a golden kudo. I think it IS a crocodilian vertebra, no doubt from a 'gator.

Why were you so confident, auriculatus, that this vertebra is from a mammal??

-----Harry Pristis

post-42-1200343526_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Yeah, that's the one thing that bothers me... The size.... If it was half that size, I'd say gator without much doubt..... But......

You know, Worthy has found a croc tooth in the Santa Fe before........... Is that where this vert is from? If there's the occasional croc tooth, there's gotta be the occasional vert, too. Crocs got much bigger than gators.

Yes, it's from the Santa Fe.

Look up Bison antiquus cervical vertebra. You'll see that that's what both mine and Harry's are.

They DO resemble the cervical vertebra of Bison bison illustrated in Frank Kocsis' book. Since Frank's vertebra is from Nebraska, it is certainly likely to be what he claims.

As I look closer at my vertebra, it is apparent that it did have a robust neural spine which I don't think that 'gators have. Sorry, Pool Man, no golden kudo for you.

There are three bison species reported from Florida: Bison bison, Bison latifrons, and Bison antiquus. In Florida, you would need cranial elements (skull, horn core) to distinguish between these species. The correct identification of the vertebrae can only be Bison sp.

The crocodile you might encounter in Northcentral Florida is Gavialosuchus americanus, at maximum size, not appreciably bigger than a large 'gator. G. americanus was a fish-eater with a narrow snout and spikey teeth. Post-cranial bones are difficult to distinguish from 'gator bones.

Live and learn! :P

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest