A Hunting Trip Too Far

jpbowden

Well, got up very early this morning grabbed a cup of coffee and headed out to the place where I was finding the neat layers. The lightning should have been the giveaway on this one, what the heck! I got about a 100' from my Maserati, (most have seen it, it looks just like a 2001 Ventura), when somehow I had fallen into the bottom of the Atlantic ocean, water everywhere! Made it back to the speedster and found my way back home. Went to enter the house and banged my head on the top of the door frame and found I had grown 6". No only mud, after scraping it off I found one lowly oyster that will be gold plated and well be worn around the neck of my wife for not clubbing me like a baby seal to stay home. Where's the love! <_<

So, things are just about back to normal?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We really have good mud here, and it's going to rain for a few more days. Spring rains and all. :D

i remember one time i was in Delaware and was walking on the ground fine and then all of a sudden i find myself in mud up to my waist. haha! will never forget that day

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Only 20% chance of rain in the morning, I'm going to give it a try over by the lake and see. It's high and dry there and no mud!

i remember one time i was in Delaware and was walking on the ground fine and then all of a sudden i find myself in mud up to my waist. haha! will never forget that day

Mud can be a totally terrifying thing. Most people don't realize it. If you're walking around in the marshes of the Gulf of Mexico around here and aren't being careful, you can end up dead very easily. I've been up to my chest in mud so thick that I would have never gotten out of it if I didn't have a friend with me. We were chasing down a huge school of mullet with cast nets, so my friend just threw the net on me, I grabbed on and he pulled. His biggest catch yet. But to make matters worse, there's razor sharp oysters in the mud that will slice the side of your leg open so far that you need stitches, then the mud gets all in it and it gets infected like you've never seen before. Yeah, I really don't like mud... Most of the old timers around the gulf area carry a long stick and superglue with them. The stick to get them out and the glue to keep them from bleeding to death on the way back.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I have been there before, cept my story involes me parking my car in the grass on a hill, and having to hike a mile back to the car in the pouring rain, then trying to get my car out of the mud.... ;) seems like none of us can pass on fossils no matter what the weather might bring.

We got a ton of rain up Dallas way today. Flooded my back yard

wow, cris, i thought i'd been in scarey mud, but you've convinced me not to wander around in salt marsh muddy areas. i don't like being semi-stuck to my knees, let alone dealing with hidden sharp objects. i tend to keep my weight off my front foot when i'm stepping until i feel how firm the ground is. but once again you've reminded us how much risk there can be out hunting and to be careful.

i've wondered on a number of occasions how many fossil divers and hunters have gotten infections from their activities. i'll bet quite a few.

MUD... Been there done that. I used to find lots of really nice fossil pectens from this one cliff at Scotia. Everytime I was there, you could look up and see lots of em but not able to reach them. Always let mother nature weather them out and let them slide down to the bottom, but over half of them got damaged that way. One winter day the rains brought down alot of mud, dirt, trees and debre and made kinda a pathway up the left side of this cliff. Steep as it was, I wasnt about to pass up this oppertunity. Up I started. About halfway up I had to start carving out foot holds with my pick hammer but the digging was easy. I made it all the way to the top of all this debre and now only had to go across the clff a little ways to get at all those big beautiful pectens. I began to carve out footholds in the cliff but it was much much harder in this undesturbed sandstone. About halfway there my arm was getting very tight and burning from all the work with my pick hammer and the footholds were getting smaller, but I was sooooooo close!!! I looked down and thought to myself, "this is really a good way to get hurt" but kept on going. My last foothold was really only a toehold and as I grabbed my first pecten, Wooooops! Down I went. Its amazing how fast you can think when danger strikes. The very first thing I thougt in the first 100th of a second was "get my on the inside of my right boot and try to ride down on my boot so I dont get sliced to ribbons with all the broken shell material sticking out all over this cliff"!!! I did slide down on my boot about 60 to 80 feet all the way down into a big pool of mud and hit it purdy hard and was litteraly covered in mud. I stood up and began checking myself out and wondered when I would begin to feel the pain and wondered how much blood I was going to lose, but after a minute or so I realized I didnt have a scratch on me and no pain whatsoever? Wow! I figured I would never to that again, but within a month I had bought some huge 16 inch spikes and made me a trail of spikes that I could step on and got about 30 of those beauties!! WooooooooHoooooooooo!!!! Jesus I used to be tuff!!! Or insane? Ha!!!

RB

Man half the time when I go out I come back with giant clumps of mud all over my boots. If you look at my tracks you'd swear a sasquatch was in the area

RJB, fossil hunting is not for wimps. Nerds my . Now that would make a good T- shirt.

Fossil hunting isn't hardly for wimps. If people saw some of the places I go, they'd question my sanity. One time I was on a country road in Florence, looking for fossils on the side of the road, and this guy came out of his trailer and started talking to me. Five hours later he was still keeping me company as I poked around. Over the course of five hours, he informed me he was armed and just got out of prison (been in for ten years). I actually really liked him, but you never know who you'll run into or what will happen. It keeps things interesting.

I have been attacked by cows, mobbed by goats, had a poorly flying turkey hurl itself into my car, etc.

I love my life--but one day I will probably be found dead in a field somewhere. Everybody's gotta go sometime--might as well go out fossil hunting.

got about a 100' from my Maserati,

Man, I pulled up behind what I thought to be a Chrysler today only to be shocked to read "Maserati" on the back. Made me think of this post. Some old fella in the rich part of Ft Worth driving this puppy.

"Chrysler's TC by Maserati"

post-221-1240978776_thumb.jpg

...I have been attacked by cows....

Man, I wonder what that was like.... :rofl:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Pat - your killing me!

I'm just glad I'm in Tampa since we had 12" of rain last night at the house...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"