Venice Beach Dive #2

Pool Man

Hello all,

I called in Lazy to work today and decided to relax by going diving :D . Found my first venice meg,not whole,but still nice to see I'm in the right spot. It seems like the sand shark teeth are most abundant and found another with evil cusps.

post-148-1240876484_thumb.jpg

post-148-1240876490_thumb.jpg

So how are these teeth cleaned? the pink thing on the meg looks like it should come off,and it will be a good tooth to practice on.

Thanks for looking

Dan

i find it more interesting that your finding so many tail barbs!!! ok i dont know if this works the same way there but here in maryland i go about thinking this with i find alot of sand sharks/sand tigers. They tend to roll up and sit on top most of the time where the larger teeth sink into the sand and hide and usually come out when the waves uncover them so maybe your dealing with the same problem, either move a lot of sand around so you can get down to the good stuff or try and get to a place where its uncovered, still great finds and congratz on the meg!

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I know one person who uses a diluted bleach solution, something like a cup to 5 gallons of water, and then uses fine steel wool to remove the encrustation. I don't know if it will work for you but if you try it keep an eye on the tooth and don't leave it in too long.

A green plastic scouring pad and baking soda works on some of the river megs I find that have a light mineral coating.

Apple Cider Vinegar. Soak it for a half hour and see what rubs off. Continue soaking it until everything comes off then I usually soak it in fresh water for a day or so just to get rid of the vinegar smell. I have never had it hurt a tooth and I have done plenty. Publix has it by the half gallon.

Al

www.meghunter.net Apparel Fossils Equipment

Thanks everyone, I'll try the vinegar. Bmore, you may be right on the sand shark teeth moving around easier than the flat teeth

Dan

Hey Bill! Yeah, was good to meet you. You had a great set up there, I'd say the best tooth selection at the place.

I'm definatly still learning the ropes,I keep swiming in circles. I need a compass on my mask casuse I keep letting go of mine to pick up stuff,hehe.

Oh yeah....Welcome to the Forum meghunter.net! and thanks for chosing my post to start on!