Preserving Fossils

Leedsichthys96

Hi, I recently found a Pleistocene fossil on the Isle of Wight and I was wondering what the best way to preserve the specimen is? It had a small crack when I found it but it appears to be getting bigger and don't want to see it damaged any further. Thank you.

Pictures and more info in what type if fossil it is would help.

The answer depends on what it is.

Edited by Fossil Claw

post-20736-0-94578400-1456836983.jpegpost-20736-0-27677700-1456836996.jpegpost-20736-0-06495800-1456837006.jpegpost-20736-0-06146100-1456837017.jpeg

Think its pelvic material from a mammal, sorry if the pictures aren't very clear!

A good way to preserve fossils is a solution of acetone and polaroid B-72.

The acetone dissolves the polaroid and you can drench the fossil with it. After the acetone evaporates the polaroid reconsolidates and consolidates the fossil.

But make sure to do this outside.

An alternative is to use watered down PVA glue and soak the fossil in this solution.

I would also recommend to us both techniques on another broken piece of fossil first to make a test to se if you like the results.

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

are you sure it is a fossil bone?

are you sure it is a fossil bone?

Yes I am sure, it has the honeycomb structure that is indicative of bone I have also had it checked by two palaeontologists at Portsmouth University and another at Peterborough museum. Is there a way of knowing how much paraloid B-72 to use in proportion to the acetone?

If I remember wel it was 1/10 of B-72 for the wanted volume of aceton.

Many fossils will change color when exposed. Loss of moisture or unstable isotopes in the coloring mineral are two reasons that this can happen.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It has started to lose that dark colour as well its a lot more brown now.

The color change, and the crack, are from the process of drying out. Slowing this down some might be desirable.

With a lens, do you see signs of salt crystals?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wrap it up in a damp towel, then wrap that in a dry towel, then close the whole thing up in a cardboard box for a week or so. This will slow the drying process so differential drying doesn't rip the piece apart.

Then consolidate in a PVA or Butvar solution. My favorite ratio is 40 or 50:1 acetone:PVA by volume. This can be applied in multiple coats with a brush (my preferred method) or you can soak the whole thing until the bubbles stop coming out.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for the response, I'll give both a try on different fossils to see which has the best result, thanks for all the help!

Would anyone happen to know how to preserve pyrite ammonites?

That has been the topic of many hours worth of discussion here.

My favorite method is pretty simple:

1. Soak the pyrite fossils in a solution of about 1 cup Iron Out crystals in a gallon of water overnight.

2. The fossils will be black (never fear). Scrub the fossils under running water with a toothbrush and some kind of soap (I like Simple Green).

3. Lay the fossils on paper towels to dry for several days (or heat in oven at low heat for an hour with the door cracked).

4. Once dry (and cool) coat the fossils with the dilute PVA solution mentioned above.

This process has worked well for me. I have many pyritized ammonites from all over the world that I have treated in this way. They are stored in closed containers (bad, bad, bad for pyrite) and have not started to deteriorate at all. Many of these specimens were treated 10 years ago.

Oh fantastic!! Thanks that seems like a nice easy method! Can I get the iron out crystals online?

I found this cute little Crinoid stem cross section the other day. It's mother rock (for lack of proper terminology) is shale.

Best method for preservation that might keep that shale glued together?

I read the comments, acetone is the only product I know, I don't know what the others are or where I could acquire them.

post-20872-0-30588700-1457281557_thumb.jpeg

Oh fantastic!! Thanks that seems like a nice easy method! Can I get the iron out crystals online?

As a matter of fact, you can

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Out-lime-IO65N-Super/dp/B00103XAQC

• 1 month later...

yup. I use the acetone in the 1 gallon jug from the hardware store and paraloid B-72

Edited by FossilDudeCO

Mother rock.... I like that, lol. In fact I am sure I will use it sometime in the near future.

But, if you are interested in knowing, the proper term is Matrix.

A good way to preserve fossils is a solution of acetone and polaroid B-72.

The acetone dissolves the polaroid and you can drench the fossil with it. After the acetone evaporates the polaroid reconsolidates and consolidates the fossil.

But make sure to do this outside.

An alternative is to use watered down PVA glue and soak the fossil in this solution.

I would also recommend to us both techniques on another broken piece of fossil first to make a test to se if you like the results.

is there a good ratio for the PVA method that people have used?

• 3 weeks later...

Tried doing acetone and PVA solution but the PVA has gone turned into like a jelly and won't mix with the acetone, is that normal?