Fossil Bird On Ebay

Dapalis1

Hi everybody,

I found this on ebay. I know the seller, i sent her an email to ask her if the specimen had some restoration and she replied:

This is only a bird wing, bones and the neck bone. It has only been vinacked. There is no head on it.

I am french and i am not familiar with the word "vinacked". What does it mean?

Do you think that this specimen is worth being purchased?

Thanks for your comments.

Fossil bird from Wyoming

Dapalis1

vinac'd means a preservative has been put on the fossil. the preservative is a polymer called polyvinyl acetate, or PVA

the value of the specimen, to you, is what matters.

but our bird expert will be along shortly and probably reply. Auspex, what do you think?

It's a shame they don't have more detailed photo's. Six pictures and five are the exact same thing. I agree with Tracer, the value is up to you but I would rather spend my money on a better specimen.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks Tracer

It's a shame they don't have more detailed photo's. Six pictures and five are the exact same thing. I agree with Tracer, the value is up to you but I would rather spend my money on a better specimen.

You are right they provide very poor quality pictures.

Frankly i am still hesitating. I know fossil birds are pretty rare...

I'd like Auspex to give me his opinion on the specimen. He is probably very familiar with wyoming fossil birds...

Dapalis1

Well, I was watching that, till a certain person advised me of the presence of a fossil fish that I really wanted more... ;)

Result: Fish 1 Bird 0

Be true to the reality you create.