Mouthing Off At The Quarry

Northern Sharks

Last weekend I ventured again to the Verulam Formation at my local quarry. The weather sucked early in the day, but it really warmed up around noon. While nothing jaw-dropping was found (pun intended) I did come home with half a dozen trilobite hypostomes of various sizes. Here are a few pics of the quarry itself and yes, the white stuff in the corner of the pit in the first pic is ice. I'm sweating wearing a t-shirt, the temperature is in the mid 20's celsius (high 70's F) and humid and there's ice. Gotta love Canada eh! The 4th pic shows the pile of crushed rock. You can see footprints going back and forth accross the pile (I made the climb after the photo was taken) and you may wonder what's the point. Small fossils seem to survive the crusher sometimes and enrolled trilobites are not uncommon. While I didn't find a roller, I did end up with several Rhynchotrema brachs, a gastropod, my largest horn coral yet from the site and 2/3 of a small prone trilobite that I think is Calyptaulax callicephallus. As for the hypostomes, most are Isotelus gigas, but the last 2 look different. Any thoughts would be appreciated

post-77-1241054920_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241054942_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241054965_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241054988_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055042_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055068_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055098_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055130_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055155_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055179_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055202_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055226_thumb.jpg

post-77-1241055261_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

OK ,so my pics uploaded in reverse order. You still get the idea

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very nice finds! Never thought to look in the crusher piles for fossils.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very Very nice!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It might be early spring there, but the "bugs" were out in force!

Congratulations :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice stuff! Those last two also appear to be Isotelus... definitely, asasphid. Do you find Homotelus in your area?

BTW, I saw an Isotelus partial hypostome the other day that was 7-8cm anterior to posterior. That critter alive had to have been 35-40cm.

Very cool pictures and description of your trip. I second the comment from megateeth. Having more dry places to search for fossils in Florida would be splendid! We get waterlogged down here :) The terrain of the quarry is awesome.

Nice stuff! Those last two also appear to be Isotelus... definitely, asasphid. Do you find Homotelus in your area?

BTW, I saw an Isotelus partial hypostome the other day that was 7-8cm anterior to posterior. That critter alive had to have been 35-40cm.

Solius: With the pics coming in reverse order, it's the first 2 hypostomes I'm iffy about. The last 3 are all Isotelus. I don't believe we have Homotelus around here, and the only other large bug that I know we do have is Ectenaspis, and they are rare.

Nice finds . Always Love the Trilos !

Looks in similar shape to what we find in Mineral Wells , Texas , broken and segmented .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !