Wyoming Fish Quarries

2ynpigo

I need recommendations for collecting fossil fish at one of the commercial fish quarries near Green River, Wyoming. I'll probably have only one day to collect. Any recommendations as to which quarry might be best for a one-day trip?

I second that suggestion. Good quarry, plentiful fossils, great help from the staff. I was there last year and will be again this year.

yes definately Warfields. www.fossilsafari.com

it is by far teh best quarry for the best price. and he lets you keep all the common species of fish no matter the size. i would recomend purchaeing a copy of Lance Grands' bulletin on the green river formation while you are there. it is sometimes hard to find. and is well worth the $25 or so.

Brock

Uncle Siphuncle

I like Warfields too. I hunted there with Brock years ago and took 70 fish in 5 hours.

old dead things

I may have been a bit biased, I was the quarry manager at Warfield last August and September and I have dug there for twenty some years. So to be fair. You may want to check Ulrichs, Tynski, Nunns and Finneys. Also a new place by appointment only......Current Creek south of Rock Springs.

post-1148-1241190948_thumb.jpg

www.olddeadthings.com

• I found this Informative 1
  • 2 weeks later...
...Also a new place by appointment only......Current Creek south of Rock Springs.

Dave Freeman's Current Creek dig site offers a different suite of fossils than the others, being as it's a Lake Gosiute deposit. Check it out: http://freemansfossilsales.com/default.aspx.

I also had a great time at Warfield's. If you get there before or after any rain, be sure to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, the road is very muddy!

• 1 year later...
Matt Kapraun

warfields x6, just a tip, depending how much you are going to take back with you, one year we brought a gas generator out west and used a jigsaw and cut off excess matrix right there on the spot worked great.

• 4 years later...

Is there one that allows you to keep everything you find, or only the common species?

Usually only the common species.

Fossilized Rays/skates, alligators, birds, and gars, (along with other rare vertebrates) command a higher price on the fossil market, so the quarries usually keep those items, should you be lucky enough to find one.

Still the number of species that they allow you to keep is quite good.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

I remember something about there being a law regarding scientifically important species there, but I cannot recall whether that applies only to leased Federal land, or what.

• 1 year later...

I may have been a bit biased, I was the quarry manager at Warfield last August and September and I have dug there for twenty some years. So to be fair. You may want to check Ulrichs, Tynski, Nunns and Finneys. Also a new place by appointment only......Current Creek south of Rock Springs.

attachicon.gifcrayfish2.jpg

www.olddeadthings.com

That is a super find!

• 1 year later...

American Fossils it is very near Fossil Safari and lets you keep anything valued less than 100,000 not just the common 8 or so species. I had my family with me (wife, son of 6 and daughter of 9) I asked around the town of Kemmerer WY and this was the place unanimously recommended by the locals. Val, the gentleman working the quarry could not have be more patient with the 1000+1 questions we had and was as excited as the kids were when they found a fossil! I will be returning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• I found this Informative 2
  • 2 years later...

We visited Fossil Safari in the summer of 2019. Here is our video field trip report about this rewarding experience: