Fossils As A Radon Sources

Dicranurus

I just read a short "article" about vertebrate bones as a source of radon. http://www.nps.gov/history/museum/publicat...ogram/02-05.pdf

I have also heard that some petrified woods can be a source of radon. Does anyone knows how about invertebrate fossils for example trilobites?

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

This explains why I glow in the dark. As for inverts, it says it occurrs naturally in shales. A lot of inverts are from shales.

Nick

Yes, I know that, but "...chemical similarities between the and radon praecursor radium and the calcium component of bone cause radium to concentrated in vertebtares fossils." Is there anything calcium components in invertebrate fossils that can also cause radium to concentreted in these fossils?

Jani

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

I would assume that they concentrate in bones becasue calcium and radium both form +2 ions, making them somehwat interchangable in the matrix, swapping places, so to speak. Radium then decays into radon, which is a gas, and works its way out of the fossil. If my assumption is correct (a big if), then trilobites wouldn't gain radium. I assume that their exoskeleton was made of chiton, which is a substituted glucose sugar, and wouldn't contain large amounts of calcium.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Ok. There is an another webpage. http://www.helsinki.fi/lehdet/uh/201i.htm

"the bones of terrestrial vertebrates contain uranium and thorium." I think this may be related food chain?

-Sir David Attenborough

One link on radioactive dino's bone. http://www.flickr.com/photos/carl_lexicon/2054394694/

-Sir David Attenborough