Any Idea What These Are?

GoldFever

Hello, I was breaking rocks in Ulster County, NY (Kingston Area) trying to find some fossils. I broke open a big rock and this perfectly round rock fell out. I dont know what it is. It is 2 inches about the roundness of a quarter. Then I found the other fossil. Dont know what it is either. Any Ideas?

post-184-1200275776_thumb.jpg

post-184-1200275782_thumb.jpg

post-184-1200275789_thumb.jpg

post-184-1200275796_thumb.jpg

The conical fossil looks like Tentaculites, which I believe is thought to be a worm (in the broader sense of the word). I have collected these in tennessee, in what I believd to be Silurian sediments. What age is the formation where you got these?

The round specimen might be a sponge, or maybe it's inorganic. I don't see any features (I just looked at the thumbnail) - are there any?

Kenneth Quinn

The conical fossil looks like Tentaculites, which I believe is thought to be a worm (in the broader sense of the word). I have collected these in tennessee, in what I believd to be Silurian sediments. What age is the formation where you got these?

The round specimen might be a sponge, or maybe it's inorganic. I don't see any features (I just looked at the thumbnail) - are there any?

Kenneth Quinn

I dont know what formation they are from. How do you tell?

Guest solius symbiosus

I'm think it looks like a crinoid stem that has weathered on a plane that is inclined to the long axis of the stem. Tentaculites usually has "ridges" at the segments.

I dont know what formation they are from. How do you tell?

The easiest way is to reference a geologic map for that area. I don't know how well the state is mapped, but if you can get a 7 1/2 min quad for that area, it will come in very useful.

i woudl say the round one is just a concretion without further information.

the other i also believe is a eroded crinoid stem.

brock