Two Hours In The Rain

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I spent a couple of hours out at my "new" outcrop that has replaced a couple of my favorite exposures( including a type section. thanks to the Ky Dept of Trans.)

The facies relationship in this area is very complex, but I was only a couple of Km from what used to be my favorite spot.

I have been collecting within a meter or two of the contact between the Millerburg Mb. and the Tanglewood Mb of the Lexington Lm. In my "old" locality, one would come across fragments of the Trilobite Gravicalymene regularly; at least a pygidium or glabella.

I have not seen "hide, nor hair" of a Trilobite since I have been collecting this outcrop(granted, it has only been a few hours), but one would expect at least a pleuron ... something ... anything.

Anyway, I will move on down the road and see if the prospects are any better.

Today, I came across a couple of decent Favostella sp.; a few Strophemenid Brachiopds, 6 or 7 Hebertella Brachiopods, a few Rhynconellids, and what I thought was a weird Prasopora Bryzoan. Once I put it under some mag.,I realized I had a small Stromotoporoid.

I found a posterior end of an "Othocerid"

post-179-1200289601_thumb.jpg

post-179-1200289659_thumb.jpg

I spent a couple of hours out at my "new" outcrop that has replaced a couple of my favorite exposures( including a type section. thanks to the Ky Dept of Trans.)

The facies relationship in this area is very complex, but I was only a couple of Km from what used to be my favorite spot.

I have been collecting within a meter or two of the contact between the Millerburg Mb. and the Tanglewood Mb of the Lexington Lm. In my "old" locality, one would come across fragments of the Trilobite Gravicalymene regularly; at least a pygidium or glabella.

I have not seen "hide, nor hair" of a Trilobite since I have been collecting this outcrop(granted, it has only been a few hours), but one would expect at least a pleuron ... something ... anything.

Anyway, I will move on down the road and see if the prospects are any better.

Today, I came across a couple of decent Favostella sp.; a few Strophemenid Brachiopds, 6 or 7 Hebertella Brachiopods, a few Rhynconellids, and what I thought was a weird Prasopora Bryzoan. Once I put it under some mag.,I realized I had a small Stromotoporoid.

I found a posterior end of an "Othocerid"

Hey Solius. I dont know what a 'othocerid' is, but I wish you the best of luck on finding that complete trilo. Seems like the harder something is to find, the more fun you have trying.

RB

Guest solius symbiosus
Hey Solius. I dont know what a 'othocerid' is, but I wish you the best of luck on finding that complete trilo. Seems like the harder something is to find, the more fun you have trying.

RB

Thanks, "Orthocerid" is an Order of Cephalopod found in the Ordovician. Around here we find 3 orders: Orthoceras, Endoceras, and Actinoceras.