Pet Wood

CreekCrawler

Hello there, I found this piece of PET wood in Texas. I am posting a picture to get an idea of what might have made the holes in this particular piece.They look to me like a wood boring insect made them.Some of the holes are filled with what looks like pulp from the original specimen.Some of the holes are vacant of any material.The question is...... are they insect or maybe a sapsucker/woodpecker type of occurrence??? I have seen through my meanderings in the wild these type of holes in extant species of felled logs.Since I have looked for snakes/lizards by removing bark from fallen logs,I have seen the larvae of certain beetles that produce the same look as the PET wood holes in my specimen.Just thought I'd see if anyone has a PET wood specimen with a similar occurrence.

Thankspost-417-1241333037_thumb.jpgpost-417-1241333111_thumb.jpg

Looks like Fungal Damage to me. I may be able to get a "new" piece from work to compare it too.

Thanks for the reply! I thought it was kinda odd.I really didn't look at the piece until I returned to my house.

I guess it's kinda like a pseudofossil.They really look like holes that were made by an insect or flighty fellow!

I beleive it is an insect bore hole. Think wood bee, all though some wasps do it also. They chew into the wood, then lay their eggs, and use the chewed wood to plug the entrance. The one on the left was started, and not completed, the ones center and right are plugged, indicating that they never hatched, when they would have chewed their way out. Very cool trace fossil.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

That is cool Snakekeeper, I don't think I have evr sen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

Might have been a caveman testing his new drill......

I have never seen one with holes in like that one. Check this one out I found in our neighborhood when they were building it. Looks to have rotted a bit

post-221-1241407585_thumb.jpg

What part of TX? I've seen a lot of wood with holes. Sometimes appears to be insects, sometimes toredo worms from when the wood was in water before getting covered up. I would guess insects on this one. I would say that the stuff in the holes is just fill from when it was underground. Looks like some iron staining also.

You are spot on about the iron staining.I sent you a PM on the location.

The entire piece measures 5"long x 3 1/2"diameter It's a mini log as I call it.

. Check this one out I found in our neighborhood when they were building it. Looks to have rotted a bit

That piece has some character and the color is nice too. It's pretty good sized also.

Have you found any more in your area since that find?

You are spot on about the iron staining.I sent you a PM on the location.

The entire piece measures 5"long x 3 1/2"diameter It's a mini log as I call it.

Cool. I am going to have to add a piece of Cretaceous wood to my collection. I have a ton of Eocene and Miocene wood. Also a few pieces of Permian.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is from a marine or estuarine deposit, I'd put my money on boring clams as the makers of the holes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey nice piece there Barry. See you on Wed.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Archived