Santa Fe Fossils

worthy 55

A fellow fossil hunter friend of mine went to the river yesterday and found these. What is the tooth in the last picture ? :Thumbs-up:

post-23-1200348998_thumb.jpg

post-23-1200349020_thumb.jpg

post-23-1200349051_thumb.jpg

post-23-1200349073_thumb.jpg

post-23-1200349095_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

A fellow fossil hunter friend of mine went to the river yesterday and found these. What is the tooth in the last picture ? :Thumbs-up:

Nice finds!

The turtle field shot is awesome!

(I believe that last tooth is a bison tooth.)

I agree with Xiphactinus, the last tooth is from a bison. The next to last is capybara, for the invert. collectors.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

The last tooth is long-legged llama (Hemiauchenia macrocephala). The next to last teeth are giant beaver (Castoroides ohioensis).

I agree with you with the giant beaver; but i`m not sure Hemiauchenia.Perhaps with another picture...

The last tooth is long-legged llama (Hemiauchenia macrocephala). The next to last teeth are giant beaver (Castoroides ohioensis).

Well, darn! I didn't do very well on this identification. That's a problem when examining a three-dimensional object in a two-dimension photo. It would have been better for me to open your thumbnails, too, instead of shooting from the hip, so to speak. :(

How did you ID this camel tooth as Hemiauchenia as opposed to Paleolama? I believe the loose teeth are indistinguishable from one another except for weak crenulations on the enamel. You can just make them out in my image below. Your tooth is so worn, how did you decide?

I don't have a beaver molar (must be upper?) to match the dark one in your image, though I accept that it is likely to be a Castoroides tooth. I thought the dark one on the left of your compound image was a capybara premolar, but now it appears that I was looking at an image of the root-end.

The best match I could find for your tooth is in Frank Kocsis' book (1st edition), but I don't have absolute confidence in all of his IDs.

I cannot make out the details of the (lower?) tooth on the right.

I did photograph a few of the comparisons I pulled out so that invert. collectors can see what we're talking about.

---------Harry Pristis

post-42-1200432509_thumb.jpg

post-42-1200432565_thumb.jpg

post-42-1200432659_thumb.jpg

post-42-1200432751_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Harry, if you go with Hemiauchenia, about 95% of the time you will be correct. You're right, the loose teeth are virtually impossible to distinguish between the two species. The incisors are even harder to distinguish.

Harry, if you go with Hemiauchenia, about 95% of the time you will be correct. You're right, the loose teeth are virtually impossible to distinguish between the two species. The incisors are even harder to distinguish.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ---Steven Wright

There are notable differences in the lower P4 of these two camelids, according to Dave Webb's account of these species. Further, Dave says on pp. 188-189 of his 1974 book that, "The enamel surfaces of the cheek teeth of this species [Palaeolama mirifica] display a crenulate texture closely resembling that on teeth of Cervidae and Giraffidae." He illustrates this condition with an image of an upper molar showing these enamel crenulations.

------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

If you look at the enamel that is exposed on this specimen (the small patch that's not coated with the black junk), it appears to be smooth which would rule out palaeolama. Of course, I'm sure the finder would prefer it to be palaeolama as they are far less common. I've only found a handful of true palaeolama teeth, but I've found literally hundreds of Hemiauchenia.

FAR OUT!@!@#$@#$%^@*#%#!!!!!!!!!

thats all i have to say.....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

If you look at the enamel that is exposed on this specimen (the small patch that's not coated with the black junk), it appears to be smooth which would rule out palaeolama. Of course, I'm sure the finder would prefer it to be palaeolama as they are far less common. I've only found a handful of true palaeolama teeth, but I've found literally hundreds of Hemiauchenia.

You have your specimen in hand, so you are best-able to see crenulations on the enamel. I'm not arguing that it is or it isn't Hemiauchenia, I just wanted to know the basis of your identification. You told us that you guessed at it because Hemiauchenia is so much more common, in your experience.

My experience with these camel teeth is different from yours. Most of the Pleistocene teeth I have found have been from Palaelama, I think -- but who kept count of all those loose teeth! In identifying my teeth, I had the advantage of having read Dave Webb's book.

The differences between Hemiauchenia and Palaeolama are also described in Hulbert's (Ed.) 2001 book, THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA. Dave Webb wrote the Plaster Jacket account of camels upon which the book chapter is based.

-------Harry Pristis

What seest thou else