Giant Snail Impressions

BobC

Hey Guys

For those of you who don't know, I pack up my dogs almost every weekend and go out searching for new fossils areas around Central Texas--this Sunday I slithered to Blanco Texas and found a really cool creek-bed with tons of giant snail impressions in it. Sorry about the crappy work--I learned that I should never walk and film at the same time--but if you can fight off the vertigo you will eventually see some cool stuff. Every day is an adventure! This weekend I found more Salenias, clams and heart urchins, and got to see road runners, deer, emus, llamas, cows, dogs and a huge four foot long rat snake!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks, could be an interesting site. Try blocking out some of the matrix if it isn't too hard and prepping it back at home. You just could find some of those large snails whole!

That site is on a river (yeah I know it is mostly dry, but welcome to Texas) on this goofy little country road, and the bottom is solid rock--I'm assuming limestone. We have tons of that here in central Texas, but I have never seen snails that huge. Also--every time that dry river crossed the road, there were frantic signs saying "By Order of the State Commissioner you may not fish or jump from this bridge. No parking near the bridge." Of course "near" is open to interpretation so I was a little nervous parking about a half mile up the road. Two trucks drove by and stopped and stared at me. People can be weird out there in the rural areas.