A day to Find ... Many to Prep

Malcolmt

On an annual basis we get one day to collect in a pretty amazing quarry in Bowmanville Ontario. This year 2015 was no exception. My buddy Dave here on the forum had a pretty amazing day. I suspect many of us would kill for even one of the specimens he found that day. I just realized that I have never posted how his fossils turned out. Turns out he is popping by this weekend to pick them up before a mineral and fossil show up in Peterborough Ontario. Fossil Forum member Northern Sharks is a very active member of the club (Kawartha) that is holding the event.

Here are Dave's finds for the day as found. They are all isotelus

A pretty damaged isotelus .... but a large one

post-4886-0-60589900-1456942059_thumb.jpg

A nice Double

post-4886-0-54947000-1456942060_thumb.jpg

Another nice double

post-4886-0-41399000-1456942061_thumb.jpg

A nice single

post-4886-0-70910900-1456942921_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Here they are ready for pick up....

One of the doubles turned out to be a triple on prep. The preservation is typical of this location.

Unfortunately when you find these at this location the eyes are often broken off. That is what makes the large one quite nice as it has two beautiful eyes on it. The large one has a very interesting crush defect on the cephalon, one could speculate that perhaps that was what did this one in....

post-4886-0-36985000-1456942530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

Heck of a prep job there, Malcolm!

Well done, indeed.

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

GREEN WITH ENVY says it all!. Wonderful finds and a fantastic prep job! I have yet to find anything but a pygidium of an Isotelus. Hats off!! I hope these are eligible for FOTM. It would make for some fierce competition.

...I'm back.

Not a bad little haul Dave got for about 7 hours hunting. This location is amazing, it is a huge and very active quarry that is kind enough to let us in one day per year.

Here is the haul Dave and I got combines that day. Most of mine are still sitting in the waiting to be prepped pile but there are going to be a couple spectacular ones in there.

post-4886-0-46386000-1456962533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malcolmt

My favorite trilobite!!great finds and super well done prep work sir! Thanks for sharing!

Here they are ready for pick up....

One of the doubles turned out to be a triple on prep. The preservation is typical of this location.

Unfortunately when you find these at this location the eyes are often broken off. That is what makes the large one quite nice as it has two beautiful eyes on it. The large one has a very interesting crush defect on the cephalon, one could speculate that perhaps that was what did this one in....

attachicon.gifDave Bowmanville 2015 resized.jpg

Very nice job!

Not a bad little haul Dave got for about 7 hours hunting. This location is amazing, it is a huge and very active quarry that is kind enough to let us in one day per year.

Here is the haul Dave and I got combines that day. Most of mine are still sitting in the waiting to be prepped pile but there are going to be a couple spectacular ones in there.

attachicon.gifCropped Dave and Malcolm.jpg

Wow nice stuff, and just think soon would of been crushed to make what concrete?

Jeff

Probably very nice concrete though!!!!!!!!....... The workers at the site call them turtles as they go up the conveyor belt to the crusher. About 3 years ago I saw someone find a huge one must have been well over a foot but in pretty bad shape as found.....

You guys had a pretty nice day for a quarry hunt! Thanks for posting the Isotelus pictures. This is one that I found near Cincinnati @ 1979 at a quarry site that no longer exists.

post-20540-0-18361500-1457215498_thumb.png

post-20540-0-49122900-1457215522_thumb.png

Very nice looks like and angry fish from the side...... usually look more like Kermit when enrolled......

The end results sure turned out spectacular. Great job! Congratulations. I'm not used to seeing multiple complete Isotelus. Definitely a sight to behold. Would love to see the rest prepped. Good luck.

Edited by Jeffrey P

Thanks for posting Malcolm. In post 8 pic, lower right plates, is that moisture drying of the rock or consolident?

It is great that the folks with knowledge are willing to share here with us.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

That is moisture drying, this picture is before any prep was started they had been washed because there was quite a bit of mud on most of them. That one had more cracks in it than the others so was taking longer to dry out. This matrix is quite hard and generally does not need any consolidation. The exoskeleton on these isotelus is quite hard and thick and again generally does not need any consolidation.

• 1 month later...