First finds ID (1&2 merged)

MeargleSchmeargl

From my trips to Stratford Hall in Virginia and Jekyll Island in Georgia, I have a good number of UFOs (unidentified fossil organisms). I have a general idea of what most of them are, however I am curious as to species classification. It would be awesome if someone can help me identify my finds (may take more than 1 post due to image issues)

Without further ado, I present to you my current hunt collection! (All fossild approx. Miocene age)

1. Shark Teeth

post-20836-0-92283000-1456972415_thumb.png

2. Bivalve imprint

post-20836-0-55123000-1456972609_thumb.png

3. Suspected Bryozoan

post-20836-0-86233800-1456972660_thumb.png

4. Stingray dental plate pieces

post-20836-0-74975900-1456972725_thumb.png

5. Unidentified

post-20836-0-46806300-1456972785_thumb.png

Flipped

post-20836-0-99040100-1456972849_thumb.png

Last specimens in next topic post.

Edited by MeargleSchmeargl

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

The Bivalvia imprint reminds me of the Genus Chione.

I will have other specimens up shortly. It will not let me upload more than 1 or 2 images for some reason...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I will have other specimens up shortly. It will not let me upload more than 1 or 2 images for some reason...

Just add them to a following post. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just add them to a following post. ;)

probably less topics now though as I figured out how to conserve space.

Cont. From last post.

6. Virginia state fossil

post-20836-0-51111200-1456973247_thumb.png

7. Trace fossils (Miocene Crustacean)

post-20836-0-94004900-1456973339_thumb.png

Whoever can, a few IDs on both topics posted would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that will.

Number 4 is not "stingray" but it is MYLIOBATIDAE - Eagle Rays

Here is a example of a Dasyatis spp - Stingray Tooth.

Scale is in millimeters.

Female...

post-16416-0-20503700-1456980837_thumb.jpg

Male...

post-16416-0-15893900-1456980862_thumb.jpg

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7. The darker piece looks like iron stone. That would make it virtually impossible to be confident that it is a trace. The others could be but I can't say the evidence of it is strong.

2 - Could be from a lamp shell,Discinisca lugubris.

3 - Looks more likely barnacles to me, like Balanus concavus.
4 - The middle ones and the upper right one is Aetobatus sp., the others maybe Myliobatis sp.
5 - The upper one looks like bryozoan, the lower one could be a weathered ray tooth plate.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7. The darker piece looks like iron stone. That would make it virtually impossible to be confident that it is a trace. The others could be but I can't say the evidence of it is strong.

I found these at Stratford Hall Virginia (Miocene cliffs). Maybe I need to show the flipped side of these specimens.

Here is the flipped side:

post-20836-0-32958400-1457010438_thumb.jpg

Edited by MeargleSchmeargl

2 - Could be from a lamp shell,Discinisca lugubris.

3 - Looks more likely barnacles to me, like Balanus concavus.

4 - The middle ones and the upper right one is Aetobatus sp., the others maybe Myliobatis sp.

5 - The upper one looks like bryozoan, the lower one could be a weathered ray tooth plate.

Is there a photo example of Discinisca lugubris anywhere? Not much luck for me...

And if this helps, the bivalve is 9/16 of an inch.

I think is in the range.
6 - Indeed looks like the big pectinid Chesapecten jeffersonius. post-17588-0-15715700-1457044719_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think is in the range.

6 - Indeed looks like the big pectinid Chesapecten jeffersonius. attachicon.gifChesapecten_Jeffersonius_Outside.jpg

Nice finds! :)

Thank you very much for the IDs. Now that I think of it, should I submit my Discinisca lugubris mold for invertebrate of the month? I found it on the 1st.

Although Discinisca lugubris was found at Stratford Hall, I'm not fairly convinced that it is,as I said,it could be...Can you post other pictures with the specimen? Have you already compared with the provided pictures?

• I found this Informative 1

Thomas Mann

My Library

Although Discinisca lugubris was found at Stratford Hall, I'm not fairly convinced that it is,as I said,it could be...Can you post other pictures with the specimen? Have you already compared with the provided pictures?

I agree that additional clear photos would be needed to for an identification.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ