ElToro

WA fossil hunt.

ElToro

Hi fellow West Aussie fossil hunters! Tomorrow, Shakespeare and I are going fossil hunting at the Cretaceous site in Gingin, Western Australia. Anyone else from Perth is welcome to come along! The more, the merrier. Should be a great day. I'm certain one of us will find that elusive Plesiosaur tooth. B)

Edited by ElToro

shakespeare

See you guys tomorrow, looking forward to mine and my son's first time out!

Ludwigia

Have fun! Wish I could join you!

Ash

Lucky buggers! Good luck!

If you can keep an eye out for "common" fossils that are still in matrix that need prep that you don't mind parting with it would be appreciated :) I'm after pieces to learn on.

ElToro

Lucky buggers! Good luck!

If you can keep an eye out for "common" fossils that are still in matrix that need prep that you don't mind parting with it would be appreciated :) I'm after pieces to learn on.

Cool mate! There are actually two formations at the site. The Molecap Greensand (fine sand with small shark teeth, fish verts and the odd Plesiosaur tooth and marine reptile bone frags. The fossils are all loose, never in matrix) and the Gingin Chalk (bivalves, brachiopods, sea urchin, shark teeth, ammonite segments etc). There are heaps of Inoceramus (giant clam) fragments all over the place. If I find a good piece in the chalk matrix I'll let you know! That matrix is super soft and can be removed with a knife, needle, scalpel etc...

sandgroper

Have a great day and I hope you find that elusive plesiosaur tooth!

Foozil

I wish I could come too! Good luck guys!

ElToro

And...the results from today's fossil hunt! Shakespear and Son found the first shark tooth (I do believe Protosphyraena), and its a beauty! I only found a couple of partial shark teeth, but nowhere near as big as Shakespeare Juniors find. I also found a small Crinoid stem segment (or perhaps a marsupial intervertebral disk). I found a complete skull and both jaws of a TINY marsupial mouse type critter. Possibly Potoroo. Not Cretaceous but still cool. These tiny critters are practically extinct due to cat predation. They havnt been around this region for a long time, so the bones are quite old. Very sad. Within a decade they will be extinct. I'm sure Shakespear will post his finds on here soon!

post-20038-0-01867400-1457258245_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-04539600-1457258268_thumb.jpg

post-20038-0-02963700-1457258289_thumb.jpg

Edited by ElToro

shakespeare

Thanks again ElToro for meeting up with us today we had a great first fossil hunt day! And call it beginners luck but Rhys did find his first shark tooth. Here's the tooth, and you had some great finds too!

See you next time.

Gingin greensands sharktooth

ElToro

Thanks again ElToro for meeting up with us today we had a great first fossil hunt day! And call it beginners luck but Rhys did find his first shark tooth. Here's the tooth, and you had some great finds too!

See you next time.

Cool mate! That tooth is about 1.5cm! YOWZA!! Very impressed! Very cool colour too.

Foozil

Really cool guys!

ElToro

UPDATE- What I thought was a marsupial skull and jaws is actually a rat. Bummer. It was the incisors that fooled me. But the Hunt must go on!