Cambropallas andalusiana trilobites are often faked. What about positives + negatives?

Hi all, as we know, Cambropallas trilobites are one of the most highly faked of all trilobites.

Still, I am keen to get a real pair. I notice more positive+negatives popping up in the market, sometimes for 150 USD or less.

How safe are these type? Have fakers found a new method to create pairs now?

post-4888-0-62057600-1457183454_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-99378900-1457183463_thumb.jpg

What do you think of these two in particular?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The ones I've seen at the Tucson show were real. You just need to see the reverse matrix side to determine if it's fabricated, did not see any. These look real to me you can see the matching detail not only on the fossil but matrix. Price looks too good makes you wonder.

All over the fossils there are crisp details that you generally do not see on fakes. The counterparts also seem to match.

the only thing I'm not completely sure about is the tail end on the second photo. That part seems a bit "blurry". Other than that these look completely real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

A positiive/negative is a good indication of a real fossil - however, I have seen some where there was some "restoration" of one or the other side...often "fixing" a free cheek.

Here is what appears to be a partial fake (at the very least), if not an outright fabrication. My instinct says that the negative is probably mostly real, but the positive was faked and then sculpty bits were added to the negative to support the strange glabellar furrows carved into the positive.

post-13994-0-78051500-1457460115_thumb.jpg

Here is what appears to be a partial fake (at the very least), if not an outright fabrication. My instinct says that the negative is probably mostly real, but the positive was faked and then sculpty bits were added to the negative to support the strange glabellar furrows carved into the positive.

Thank you.

I couldn't have tell that the positive was faked.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

By the way, the two that you posted at the beginning of this thread do look real...the matrix shape and coloration, as well as the trilobite shape and coloration match perfectly. There are also small bits of fossil about on the second image that are duplicated between the two halves...I would buy either one of those with confidence.

---Prem

On the other hand, here is another poorly made fake positive + negative from the same vendor selling the fake I posted before. This one is even more blatant in its fakery. The two main giveaways are the bubbles in the negative, indicating resin bubbling, and the completely odd glabellar furrows that extend over the eyes (!).

I hope no one on e-bay is fooled.

---Prem

p.s. now that I have looked at the first fake I posted to this thread, I can see resin bubbles in that negative as well...so, I am guessing 100% fake for that one, too!

post-13994-0-12584400-1457742420_thumb.jpg

All over the fossils there are crisp details that you generally do not see on fakes. The counterparts also seem to match.

the only thing I'm not completely sure about is the tail end on the second photo. That part seems a bit "blurry". Other than that these look completely real.

You're right on that pygidium end of the orange one .. it's an addition. Also the end of the genal spines seem colored and corrected. Everything according the species morphology though.

I might have some 100% perfect/natural ones though laying around though .. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow

Archived