I Broke My Estwing!

Koss1959

I have a 24oz chisel tip Estwing. A great hammer that I've levered rocks that would have buckled other hammers.

However, the rubber handle keeps sliding off. Shall I buy another Estwing and give them another chance, or do I buy another brand?

I want a 24oz, perhaps with a longer handle, chisel tip, one piece head/ shift.

Have you tried contacting Estwing, to ask if they can/will do anything about it?

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have and am waiting on a response. They will not repair it, from what I've read. I'm not expecting a replacement from them as there's no way to prove I've been using it as intended. Just wary of spending so much on another Estwing only for the same to happen again.

I have been using an estwing hammer for 40 years (the same one) and had no problems with it. I have broken several other brands of hammers. Actually broke the metal shaft!!

I thought that estwing had a lifetime warranty on their hammers, did that change?

Either way I think it is the best that is available.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Regardless Eastwing is the one most of us carry for a reason. MIne is over 30 years old and still going strong.

Generally hammers don't like to be "levered". They're made for impact, not flex. Sounds like you need to buy a pry/jimmy/crow bar ;)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Maybe depends on how You are using it as a lever. I have used Mine as a lever also and not lost the handle.

Maybe it was just defective in some way.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Ive had many estwing hammers, chisle type, pick type hammers. 2 lb and 4 lb mini sledges in both short handled and long handled and even the estwing picks. Im talking about 30 or so of these over the years and have never had a problem. If I were you I would try and talk with them and be adiment about doing so. You seem to have a defective tool?

RB

Estwing is the best we all use it. Here is their comment on warranty. I'm sure there is a local support number for you.

ESTWING’S WARRANTY IS NOT A LIFETIME WARRANTY, HOWEVER, ESTWING FULLY WARRANTS ITS ALL- STEEL HAMMERS AGAINST FAILURE IN NORMAL USE, BUT DOES NOT WARRANT ITS TOOLS AGAINST MISUSE, ABUSE, OR WEARING OUT.

For over 90 years, millions of satisfied customers have proven that Estwing tools provide greater value and satisfaction than other similar tools.

If you feel you have a fair claim contact your Estwing retailer. If you cannot reach your Estwing retailer, please call Estwing customer service at 815-397-9558.

This is the rubber grip slipping?

Glue it back on!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Glue it back on!

Just be careful, if you don't use the right glue/put the glue on properly, the next time you take a swing that metal hammer could go flying into the air. Yikes!

You could try gluing it back on with silicon. I remember hearing somewhere that's what to use with that problem.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

My Estwing has done the same, but its over 10 years old and its had some stick. We bought a less pricy one and the handle split on its second outing. Estwings are expensive but worth the money.

I think your best bet would be a strong industrial contact cement (not the type used for office use!!) . Use the type used to lay carpet down. Silicone is not going to stand up to constant jarring and will become brittle and break. And certainly duct tape is only a quick temp fix, which I wouldn't even put faith in to swing that thing. I have tried using silicone glues in my gold mining ventures and trust me, you don't want that headache.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

My estwing handle split after 4yr , chucked it in the bin and bought another estwing , 2yr on still ok.

Split the handle?!!! Are you sure you're hitting with the right end?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I've had my one and only Estwing pointed end hammer for 55 years. My dad bought it for me at a rock shop, probably in Utah, when I was 13. It didn't get much use, though, for more than 30 of those years. The pointy end is well-worn but it's still as solid as ever.

post-6366-0-01060900-1457799392.gif

Edited by Pagurus

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I've used my Estwings for prybars more times than I can count. I've even struck one hammer with another to use the first as a makeshift chisel (a big no-no) and have never had a single failure. My only issue was with their pry/gad bar when I bent the pry side whilst trying to move a slab that wound up requiring two 6' bars and a fulcrum to move.

I would try to find a number to call and talk to a person. Emails regularly get ignored or forgotten. IF you get a human, you may actually get a new hammer out of the deal.

Glue it back on!

That was my original thought. I have had to do this with other tools in the past and the repair lasts longer than the original. You could even consider a "grip upgrade"

Fossils: The Original Limited Edition Collectible.

www.bonesandstone.com