I Broke My Estwing!

Koss1959

I had issues with a brand new Estwing chisel. The rubber slid down and covered the chisel tip making it unusable. I can't move the rubber back up either as it is just too tight. I tossed it in the toolbox where it remains. I doubt I'd buy another unless it was all metal. Haven't had any issues with the hammers but then again I've only used these tools once.

I guess you still haven't had a response Koss otherwise you would have posted. Pretty poor service. I'd certainly think twice with getting an Estwing when I need to change my £15 brick hammer. Maybe a link this thread ought to be sent to them....

Edited for auto spellcheck (west wing!)

Edited by JohnBrewer

No, unfortunately no reply. It is disappointing. If they replied within a few days, or even a working week, I'd definitely consider getting another Estwing. My 3 chisels and 4lb cracking hammer are both estwing. Neither were particularly cheap but they are quality bits of equipment. I was also looking at getting some Estwing pry bars, but will probably go elsewhere now. Shame their customer service doesn't match the quality of their products.

I have to agree with all the other Estwing fans. My oldest one has been in my possession more than 40 years and was worn and old when the geologist at the local university gave it to me. I still use it often. The rubber handle is less springy and I suspect it has oxidized somewhat. My newest one is a chisel tip only 2 years old.

• 3 weeks later...

They should really have at least replied to you somehow.

That is a bit disappointing.

But the warranty does state it is not for lifetime, and they cannot repair or re-grip the hammer. :(

Unfortunately, it would appear you got a dud where the handle didn't attach properly.

I think the overwhelming majority hasn't experienced the type of issue you describe.

I'd be very surprised if it were to happen again.

Good luck.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

Just listen to me... go to your corner bike store and buy a roll of rubberized (neoprene) tape and use it to wrap your hammer handle.

This stuff works great on all of my tools and is very water tolerant. Good luck.

• 1 month later...