Nebraska fossil sites?

diabeticwolf

Hello,

I have a friend who is interested in paleontology (she wants to be a paleontologist), but has yet to actually go fossil hunting. I hope to take her during Spring Break (which for me is the week before Easter). I was wondering if anyone could give suggestions for fossil collecting sites that are 1-3 hours away from Omaha? I am willing to drive to the NE/KS border, up to Niobrara, or a bit to the west. Since we are amateurs, we are limited as to what we can legally collect (we can collect shark teeth, shells, invertebrates, plants, and fish). I really enjoy collecting petrified wood, and I have more than a dozen small pieces that I have found among river rock on my family's property.

When I was younger, I believe I went to Pawnee County and found Brachiopods with my grandma's cousin, Roger Pabian.

My friend is open to finding anything, but she is eager to be able to call herself an amateur paleontologist.

Ashfall Fossil Beds is a neat place (went when I was really little, but I barely remember it). They do NOT allow fossil collecting at all in the park, so it would just be a stop where we could learn and see an active site.

Any suggestions for a couple amateurs?

I know very little about eastern NE, but the museum at the university in Linclon is good. I don't know if they take volunteers in their prep lab, but if they do, that may be the best thing your friend could do. And, yes, go visit Ashfall.