Jaw bone on Virginia Beach

TeamDean

My son found this today on the beach at Fort Story, VA (Cape Henry)

We are curious as what it is because it doesn't seem like a shark! It has small razor like teeth in the front and a cluster of 5 large teeth that are still in tact. Very old. Is about 5 inches in length.

Thank you for your time as it will make my sons day to figure out what he found ;)post-20876-0-41561700-1457303711_thumb.jpegpost-20876-0-56876900-1457303741_thumb.jpeg

post-20876-0-79257800-1457303779_thumb.jpeg

post-20876-0-58346200-1457303801_thumb.jpeg

The color suggests fossil... and yes barracuda fossils are known from that area. )When I say "that area" I mean VA/NC/SC area.

Is it a fossil even? I think my sons heart just broke lol

It looks fish to me also. Modern fish material can also get that black color after a short period of time. If it is modern it would be fairly lightweight, somewhat flexible and most likely have a smell to it.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

It is a premaxilla from a fish similar to Lophius, the Goosefish. Goosefish have similar wrinkled roots to their teeth. Here is a picture showing the wrinkles.

post-2301-0-43303900-1457353896_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

TeamDean,

It is possible it's a fossil. They (Feds and State) are doing or did some beach "re-nourishment" on the north-end beaches which means they have to dredge sand off shore or in either Rudee Inlet or Lynnhaven Inlet and then pipe the sand to a place on the beach for the bulldozers to spread out. When they do the dredging the spoils they place on the beach frequently contain some marine fossils like sharks teeth, shells, coral, etc.

With the widening of the Panama Canal there will be quite a bit of dredging in the channels and ports in Hampton Roads to accommodate the larger bulk cargo and tanker ships. They are doing some of that dredging now (as of last week when I was there) just off Norfolk Naval Base in the mouth of the Elizabeth River.

SA2

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World