Sign in to follow this  
Raggedy Man

Where to start in Wisconsin

Raggedy Man

Here is a great starting guide for those that are new to fossil hunting in Wisconsin. This should answer many questions submitted under the Wisconsin category.

getPart.pdf

Best regards,

Paul

Auspex

Pinned :)

crfredette

Thank you for this guide!

Here is a great starting guide for those that are new to fossil hunting in Wisconsin. This should answer many questions submitted under the Wisconsin category.

attachicon.gifWisconsin fossil tips

Best regards,
Paul

minnbuckeye

Also google search "Geologic Outcrops of Wisconsin". This site gives beginners 100 sites to try out, specific location, what the site offers, and an in depth geology lesson at each site. I have tried a few with decent success, though I still like to explore on my own.

Raggedy Man
On 5/10/2016 at 9:41 PM, minnbuckeye said:

Also google search "Geologic Outcrops of Wisconsin". This site gives beginners 100 sites to try out, specific location, what the site offers, and an in depth geology lesson at each site. I have tried a few with decent success, though I still like to explore on my own.

After months upon months of research and hundreds of dollars spent in gas, many of these outcrops are no longer accessible or no longer exposed. Also, this outcrop map does not distinguish between metamorphic and sedimentary rock. Some contain a pdf file with site information, but many of the links do not work and the information is no longer available. I would suggest the book, "Roadside geology of Wisconsin". The best source of information for hunting Wisconsin is still in the journals and reports from species description. 

smt126

I definitely love roadside geology of Wisconsin. I borrowed it from the library and thought it had such great info I bought a copy. I have sticky notes and highliter all over it.